Help with new Macbook and wireless internet!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hellomoto4, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hellomoto4
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Hey guys

Im about to get my new 2.0GHz Macbook, and after looking at the specs again, I see that 802.11n is listed under Wireless.

When it comes to wireless, I have no clue whats going on, but I know that when I look at my wireless settings for my current wireless base station, under "Mode" I only have a choice of "g and b", "g" and "only 108mbps".

Will my wireless router support this 802.11n thing on my new Macbook?

Please help!!

2. vandozza
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

vandozza

looks like your router doesn't support wireless-n.

to be sure you could put the model number into google and see what the specifications are.

edit - and it probably won't matter, as the average internet connection in Australia isn't faster than wi-fi G anyways.
    ie. you only benefit from wireless N if you are moving files around your home network, or your internet speed is above the speed of wi-fi G. (wi-fi N also has a greater range from what I understand, but for an average home, this also is unlikely to be an issue.)
    i suppose what i'm suggesting is that as far as internet speed goes, you are more limited by the speed of your internet connection, rather than the speed difference between G and N, and for many home users (in Australia) this isn't an issue.

edit 2 - also wi-fi N is fully backwards compatible with wi-fi G/B, so the macbook with wi-fi N will connect to a wi-fi G/B router with no problems (in G/B mode the router runs at the speed of the slowest device on the network, if you have a B device on a G/B router, the entire network slows to run at B speeds, to support this slowest device. If you are only using G/N devices, the router will run at G speeds.)

3. hellomoto4
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

So what you're saying is that my router will still 'send' a connection to the Macbook, it just won't have "wireless-n" speeds.

As long as I have a connection, its all good!

4. vandozza
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

vandozza

yes, it's backwards compatible, you can still connect without problems (i run this exact setup) but you only connect at G speeds (the fastest supported by the router.)

if you need more range, or want to move lots of files around a home network quickly, then upgrading the router to N might help. (however ALL devices have to be upgraded to N speeds/compatibility, or the router drops back speed to support the slowest device.)

5. hellomoto4
    Expand Collapse

hellomoto4

Ok, Thanks heaps for the help!

I've always had no clue about Wireless networking...

Thanks again.

6. vandozza
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

vandozza

no problems!

if you've really got no clue, at least make sure you are using WPA2-PSK security, will stop people from "borrowing" your internet connection. (don't not have a password, or use WEP, or use the default router password!)

:)

7. hellomoto4
    Expand Collapse

hellomoto4

Ok well I have a little bit of an idea of what I'm doing because I managed to get that set up
    :)