Help with new Powerbook 15'' PLEASE

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by g0gie, Oct 26, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

I got my BTO powerbook about an hour ago and the first thing i did was run teh apple hardware test and it FAILED. someone please help. The error i get is during the logic board test and I get this error message "

Error 2Fan/4/1: Rear Right exhaust

Can one of you new powerbooks owners please duplicate this? I was thinking maybe the hardware test wasnt updated for the new powerbooks, or if not that that maybe I really do have a faulty exhaust fan. Please HELP!!!!

2. pna
    macrumors 6502

Call apple -- they should be aware of the issue if its within the hardware test itself.

3. macrumors newbie

I ran the hardware test on mine when it arrived too - it passed everything. Sounds like you have an actual problem - sorry. Apple should fix it without any fuss though.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

did u have the 15 '' powerbook as well?

5. macrumors 68020

Well, good job testing it right away. Don't use it or it might get too hot. :confused:

6. macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's the new 15" base model (no BTO).

7. thread starter macrumors regular

called applecare, they are making me send it in for repair. its good that somthing is happening at least , but it lookst like ill be without my pb for a another week.... this sux.... they BETTERfix it right the first time and not make me have to send it it again or im gonna be ANGRY!

8. macrumors 68000

dam dude that sucks. i have one dead pixel but none of the problems you expressed. i ran the hardware test and it passed successfully.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your sypathy guys... looking forward to a quick turn around by applecare!

10. Nuc
    macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Why don't you tell them to send you a new one? I don't know if I would want a new computer that already failed the hardware test.... Or maybe I'm to picky.

Nuc

11. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

If you have an Apple store near you, I would go down and return it and get a new one.

12. macrumors 68020

Nah... I'm that picky too... I would send the whole thing back and order a new one. Since when you get it back, the aluminum will probably be warped a little from opening it up.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I was thinking abuto getting anew one too but I think the turn around period woudl take longer. I really want to get this working asap

14. macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you have an AppleStore near you, they should just replace it on the spot.

Do not delay!

You said you're model is a stock 15", so there should be no problem
    replacing it at the store.

15. thread starter macrumors regular

actually my model is BTO with the 100gb 7200rpm HD

16. macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

they will probably refuse to take it back without charging a 10% restocking fee. I had an issue a WHILE back with a power computing mac clone that shipped with a bad motherboard. They wouldn't let me just return it and get a new one. Fortunately they had a 30 day money back guarantee so I just returned it that way.

17. macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

That's terrible, that would drive me crazy. Getting a new PowerBook and having to send it right back....that sucks.

18. macrumors 6502

Maybe the box damaged it

19. macrumors 6502a

Temujin

What is this test program you guys are talking about. can't seem to find it. Have the BTO 15" new PB too.

Never mind, found it.