Help with NEW Powerbook Scrolling Trackpad and Firefox!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMan112, Feb 10, 2005.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

I am having a problem with Firefox on my Powerbook.

When i use two finger for scrolling, it seems that when I try to scroll in certain directions, Firebox hits the back button. Sometimes it even brings me all the way back to the first page I was looking at.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

2. RonJ83 macrumors member

i would stick with Safari, its alot better and faster than Firefox.

3. brap macrumors 68000

Yes, I've posted about it in the MacBytes thread.

Are you using a 2005 Powerbook? If so, it's native Firefox problem - perhaps even a "feature". The plot thickens.
    Wrong thread. And of you're going to post blanket statements like that, you may want to include some reasoning...

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

That is just asking for a flaming. Most people who blantly bash firefox dont know what they are talking about and are just repeating what they read. They refuse to even try firefox.

To solve the problem on the power book it may taking changing some setting some where to make it work right. Firefox my be reading it as something else because I discovered there are some ways in change the ways that you can go back and forward and speeding up how you jump farther back

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try the change in Firefox prefs listed in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=100597&highlight=sidetrack+firefox

I think the issue has to do with FF. By default, it is set up to interpret a lateral motion on the scroll-wheel as a navigation back-forward, instead of as a horizontal scroll. So this change was necessary to get sidetrack's horizontal scrolling working in FF, and it might do the same for the two-finger scrolling.

:)

6. brap macrumors 68000

Yuhuh. About:config is very big, though :/

These Linux guys found Firefox going spastic with a touchpad - in fact, they're having the same exact problem, but I'm not so sure how it relates to us... I'd look into it, but I'm supposed to be getting ready for dinner with my missus ;)

I expect this to be fixed by the time I'm back! :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You don't have to change *every* setting in about:config. Just the ones listed in the thread I linked above. It really doesn't take more than 15 seconds to do. Give it a try.

8. brap macrumors 68000

Yeah, I wrote that reply and was then talked at for 15 minutes... hit 'send' and you'd replied with the answer!

Service or what ;)

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Any time. ;)

Now if someone can figure out how to make the up/down keys faster for scrolling...every other aspect of scrolling is just peachy, but the up and down keys go ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, *waits* ca-chunk, ca-chunk, *waits*.... :rolleyes:

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I actually LIKE this. Side-to-side scrolling brings me forward and backward in pages I've visited. Very useful.

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can increase the Key Repeat rate in the Keyboard Preferences.

Or just use page-dn/page-up

12. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

sidetrack

I've used Safari since it was released, and recently tried Firefox because the new Google maps doesn't work yet with Safari. Safari is definitely NOT faster, even with the faster loading feature turned on...it took me one day to decide that I like Firefox more, and Safari is no longer on my dock.

If you notice, Safari is always playing catch-up with Firefox (and other browsers)...latest example, RSS feeds...previous example, tabbed browsing. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, but if not, you have a strange definition of "better."

About the scrolling, has anyone turned off the two finger scrolling and tried sidetrack? I think I saw a post from the programmer saying it won't work, but maybe? I can't imagine two finger scrolling being better than sidetrack, but I haven't tried it yet.

13. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I did not mean in about config. I was meaing inside the option menus them selves or one of the extention menus to fix it

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, yes, obviously I can use page-up and -down. I was actually aware that those keys are over there on my keyboard. ;)

As for the up and down keys, there are some times when they are useful. At least to me. I guess I could try boosting the repeat rates. The problem is that the repeat rates are satisfactory in every application I use, including Safari, except Firefox. In fact, in Firefox, the key repeat rates are fine too. The problem is how many lines up/down the screen displaces with each keypress. I haven't been able to find a Firefox pref that handles this yet. There are some that sound like they *should*, but when I use them, they don't have the desired effect.... :(