Help with new purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davudvl, Jan 17, 2007.

1. davudvl macrumors newbie

I am switching from PC to Mac.
    I would like to use photoshop, aperture, and final cut express ( maybe pro in the future)
    I chose the 24 iMac with 2g RAM and upgraded video card.
    Will this machine be powerful enough for its intended use?
    Also should I upgrade to 500G Hardrive, or just purchase external HD as need arises?
    Is 2.33 GHz that much faster than 2.13?
    Thank you.

2. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Based on the limited amount of information provided, and how little I know about your professional needs, I'd say you'll probably be doing great with the 24" iMac.

I think you should look at external drive solutions in any case, whether for backup of your valuable files, or for an alternative workspace for image/video editing.

I doubt seriously that you'd find any noticeable performance difference between the 2.16 and the 2.33, especially $250 worth, but others may have experience that reads otherwise.

If you use the MRoogle link in my sig below you can do a pretty comprehensive search of the MacRumors forums on the 24" iMac threads.

Good luck with your new purchase!

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A 24" iMac should be just fine for you davudvl. Although, if you are planning on doing video editing professionally (e.g., doing it for your bread and butter), you might want to consider a Mac Pro. :)

The speed difference between the 2.16GHz and 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo will be minimal. You would be better off going with the stock processor and using that money to buy more RAM instead. :)

4. darkanddivine macrumors member

Hi! I'm in the same position (I would be using it for similar applications) , and most people I have spoken to say that the extra screen is well worth it, and 2gb RAM will be fine for the near future, and when you need to upgrade you can put an extra gb in then!

5. davudvl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx guys. Some more questions.

Do I need to order the USB dial up modem, If I am using cable-modem to connect to the internet?
    Is it worth getting the wireless mouse and keyboard?
    Is it true that if software is purchased with student discount is not upgradable?

Thanx again guys.

6. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

No, you don't need the USB modem if you already have a cable one.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

IMO no, partially because there are certain situations you want a wired kbd for - like troubleshooting, and bootcamp.[/QUOTE]
    Depends entirely on the software license for that individual title -- some are some aren't.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I would take cyberddot's advice and get an external drive. Final Cut runs better when your project is not on the same drive as your system. Even if your use of Final Cut is not demanding, having an external drive will let you set up a partition for backups.

Photoshop is not Universal, meaning it will run more slowly until a version for the Intel processor is released later this year. You may find it runs well enough for your needs now. Many who use it heavily are waitint for the Universal version before they buy it.

I think iMacs are great machines. All of the programs you mention will take advantage of that large screen. Best wishes.