help with non digital camera

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Dec 24, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    im trying to help a bud of mine who wants to buy a manual camera... non digital...just regular camera you know. i think it would be best for him to go with either nikon or cannon but i could be wrong. anyone have any advice on what camera to go for? he just wants to do some casual photography with the ability to get a little advanced. wants to do landscape shots and shots of old buildings... etc. etc.

it has to be an automatic... or both if there is such a thing.

what do you all recommend?
  2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    Given the choice between a Nikon and a Canon SLR(Single Lens Reflexive) camera i recommend the nikon. I have a N65 and i love it. When i was shopping for it i looked at Canons, Minoltas, and Pentax. I decided on the Nikon on the basis that it used much more metal parts then the rest. It is heavier then alot of the them but i felt it would last longer. If your friend is looking for an entry level SLR then i recommend looking into the Pentax Zx7(i think), any of the Canon Rebels, and the nikon N65(i believe that they may have come out with a new model N70? to replace the 65) Most SLRs have a automatic mode in which the camera acts just like the point and shoot variety any parent carries to a Peewee Soccer game. They also offer semi-auto modes aswell as manual. So they are very flexible.

You do get what you pay for and your looking to spend about 300-400 dollars on a package including any of the models i mentioned. The packages usually include a 28-80mm lens or something similar. I paid alittle extra 380 vs 370 and go a Nikon Nikkor lens. Now they do make ones that are simply full manual and offer non of the automatic features.

Look around at some local shops but i recommend buying from B and H Photo Video out of New York or Ritz Camera both off free shipping over a certain amount and no tax so it winds up being a bit cheaper
  3. szark macrumors 68030

May 14, 2002
    I personally found the Canon Rebel to be a good camera for beginners. It is fully automatic with the ability to switch everything to manual mode (though I'm sure all of the 35mm SLR cameras allow this).

One thing I like about the Rebel series is the "backwards" way it places pictures on the film roll. When you load the film, it winds the entire roll of film out of the cartridge. As you take each picture, it winds the exposed film back into the cartridge to protect against accidentally opening the back and ruining the pictures you have already taken. You also know exactly how many pictures are left on the roll.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Normally, I'd suggest an Olympus since that's all I use. The OM-4 was the last Olympus with interchangeable lenses and that sweet, light body. It may be still available new but I haven't noticed within the past three years. Olympus' current cameras are ZLR (Zoom Lens Reflex) and feel great but are somewhat restrictive.

Nikon have great cameras and if you're careful with the lenses--don't buy G series lenses--you'll have something amazing.

Canon are very good but they just don't feel right to me. I used to sell many of them when money was a factor and Nikon were too expensive.
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    ah, nikon is good, especially if you plan on going digital SLR down the road. Its something to consider. I'm planning on buying a Digital SLR in the next year or so and I'll probably get one that can share my lenses with my other regular 35mm camera.