Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
The title says it all. I have an iPod mini which works fine, except for the fact that the menu button on the scroll wheel doesn't work. I can scroll and use all the other buttons, just not the menu. Any ideas where I should start?

Not that it helps, but it's used with both an iBook and Powerbook.

Edit: I've also tried reinstalling the newest ipod updater, as well as installing one from 2004, when it was purchased. Neither one has made a difference.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
gauchogolfer said:
The title says it all. I have an iPod mini which works fine, except for the fact that the menu button on the scroll wheel doesn't work. I can scroll and use all the other buttons, just not the menu. Any ideas where I should start?

Not that it helps, but it's used with both an iBook and Powerbook.

Edit: I've also tried reinstalling the newest ipod updater, as well as installing one from 2004, when it was purchased. Neither one has made a difference.

have you tried the various Rs? don't take my word for it but it sounds like a hardware problem.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Yeah, I gave the R's from Apple's help area a go before I posted here. One thing that's strange is that I can still force the iPod to reinitialize, via holding down the menu+centerbutton for several seconds. So, it seems like some connection is there because it recognizes that I'm pushing it. It seems like it must be software related, but I can't for the life of me think what else to try. It's past warranty, or I'd just send it in.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
gauchogolfer said:
One thing that's strange is that I can still force the iPod to reinitialize, via holding down the menu+centerbutton for several seconds

this is the odd thing, i naturally assumed it to be a hardware problem, but that is odd. Does it always work when resetting? as it could be a problem with contacts between the button and the ipod body? Can you still turn off the backlight with the menu button?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
The forced rebooting is reproducible, and in fact after the reboot the menu button sometimes works for a few seconds, but then stops. As for turning off the backlight, I'm not sure I understand. If I hold down the menu button, should that turn off the backlight? I'll give it a try nonetheless.

Edit: nevermind about the backlight question, I figured that part out. Nope, I can't change the status of the backlight using the menu button.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Curiouser and curiouser...

So, do iPods have logic boards that can fail? This has just gotten weirder.
If I hold down the play button to turn off the unit, nothing happens. I still have the menu button problem as well. BUT, if I move the hold switch from locked to unlocked and back again, it acts as the menu button would and moves me up one level in the hierarchy. Can I proclaim this iPod mini officially screwed™?

lwhansen

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Have the exact same problem!

You are not alone my friend! My 4'th gen 60GB iPod has the same problem. It happens after hours (maybe days) of continuous play through Shuffled Songs. Suddenly, I cannot turn the darn thing off and the menu button does not respond. The only fix I knew off, until I read this thread, was to let it run out of battery. I hate UI's that are so smart they do not work. I have not tried messing with the HOLD button. One more thing, I have only noticed this after unplugging it from the power and taking it home from work. I get home and cannot turn it off. Really frustrating!!!!!

If anybody cares, here is the About information on my iPod:

Songs 3589
Photos 0
Capacity 55.7 GB
Avaiable 34.6 GB
Version 1.2.1
S/N JQ532EUHSAZ
Model M9830LL
Format Windows

I believe the software it up-to-date. I downloaded the latest software a few months ago.

Thanks,
Lars

gauchogolfer said:
So, do iPods have logic boards that can fail? This has just gotten weirder.
If I hold down the play button to turn off the unit, nothing happens. I still have the menu button problem as well. BUT, if I move the hold switch from locked to unlocked and back again, it acts as the menu button would and moves me up one level in the hierarchy. Can I proclaim this iPod mini officially screwed™?

larsak

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2006
Same here!

I have exactly the same problems that you are experiencing.

If you have found a solution to your problem I would be very happy to hear about it.

Cheers,

Lars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.