help with osx and partitioning

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by flycheese, Feb 10, 2003.

1. flycheese macrumors newbie

hello, can someone help me???!!!

i have just installed os 10.2 on a powerbook, partitioned the hd and im trying to install 9.2 on the partition.

when i load the os9 cd in and try to open it i get a message that says there are no localized classic-specific resources to update the selected system folder, 'powerbook g4 install cd/system folder".

does this mean that classic is not installed on my hd?

i have tried to use os9 as a startup disk (ho;lding c down) and choosing it as a startup disk but it doesnt appear as a startup disk and i cant boot from it!!

anyone tell me whats going on????

i have also tried to file share os9 from my g3 and it wont let me do that either.

i am using ethernet by the way

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Try this.

If i was you I would initilize the hard drive and install OS 9.2.2 first. While doing this i would give yourself two partitions one for OS 9, and the other, hopefully larger, OS X. I think that you have to do this first, if you are going to be putting X on the same drive. You need to do this because, X installs drivers in for OS 9, after it recignizes that 9 is there. After you have 9 installed and running put the OS X CD in, reinstall it.

This was the same problem that I had. Forunitly, for me I have an 80GB WD HD. I had to create three partitions: Mac OS X- 50GB, Mac OS 9- 20 GB, and 8GB for OS X the operating system. I had to create the 8 GB for the operating system because, I have an Beige G3 Minitower-- which you have to install OS X on an 8Gb or smaller drive.

Anyway I hope that this helps out.:D

3. flycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply i have been overlooking something very simple. there are two installers on the osx disk and one of them is for classsic!!!!!!!!!!!

most of the day!!!

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

When you installed Jag, did you click install OS 9 drivers?

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i think that i did, not sure though

i think that i might of. If it isn't already selected, then i didn't. If it was already selected then i think that i might of.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hopefully you're not trying to do a full install from a 9.2 Update CD. It won't work too well unless you already have a System Folder on the drive.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

9. flycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the advice, the advice on this site has been invaluable to a novice like me.

it turns out that i dont need os 9.2 on another partition as i have just found out emagic do a osx update for logic!!!(but not for the sampler instruments)............. (i now have an empty partition on my hd), i will burn the lot to dvd and re format my hd when i get the time.

ps, the threads were slightly different, i was asking for specific advice,

cheers loads:D :D