Help with PC Registry griref.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by combatcolin, Jul 7, 2006.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Anyway, i am now getting constant bloody warnings about the registry, these are coming from Messenger, which i thought was MSN, a program i was loathed to install but girlfriend wanted it.

Uninstalled MSN and still not luck, ran multiple registry clean up programs from www.download.com but not much luck.

Anyone reccomend a good free program that will sort this mess out?

PS We could do with just a "PC problem area" in the forums, seperate from "Windows on the Mac".

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

The registry is an absolute pain to clean up. Without any more of a diagnosis, the only suggestion I can give you is to reinstall Windows ... assuming that the Registry is actually the problem.

The fact that you're getting these errors from the Messenger service is interesting. Is the machine plugged directly into the 'net (no firewall), by chance?

3. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

4. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Thanks, Firewall is a bit funny, im running XP Pro, but under Control Panels i have no Firewall icon, but WOW keeps moaning that my Pc is behind a Firewall when its updating.

Any ideas?

This Messanger lark has only started yesterday, before that i had a pretty tight run ship, well i thought i had.

5. iCeQuBe macrumors regular

You may have some sort of virus or spyware that ses the messaging service. You may want to download and run ad-aware, Stinger AV, and a regular AV program. Welcome to the windows world!!!!

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you tried disabling the Messenger service? It's a known annoyance that users who are on your same network (including spyware) can use it to send you messages. Disable it unless your in a company where IT actually uses it.

Contorl Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services -> Messenger -> Disable.

B

7. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I run Firefox, Ad Ware, AVG and common sense, and everything was (and still is) nice and stable.

Annoying messages and the knowledge that something may be wrong but probably isn't.

Isn't Windows fun!

8. Considering macrumors newbie

Just a thought for the Firewall issue - have you tried switching the Control Panel to the classic view rather than that crappy category view that's installed by default? That might reveal your firewall icon - it's definitely installed if you're using XP SP2.

Good luck.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And it's called "Windows Firewall" so it's down near the bottom in the Control Panel Classic View.

The "Security Center" icon in the Control Panel of XPSP2 is anotehr way to access the Windows Fireall settings page.

B

10. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Nope, no luck there either.

If XP Pro dosn't have SP2 as standard when its installed then i don't have Service pack 2.

Kept hearing too many horror stories about it and, cough cough, slightly naughty version of Windows so didn't want to try my luck in case i got caught out.

Downloaded Zone Alrm 2 so i'll try that out soon.

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

free? umm, Linux

not free? umm, OS X

12. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

If WOW and iTunes were combatible i would be very, very tempted.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

XP will have SP2 by default if it is installed from recent media, not if it's older...

SP2 fixes so many XP annoyances that I really don't understand why anyone would put up with those annoyances, even if it meant spending ~US$80 on a new license of XP Home SP2. Of all the programs to use a "naughty" copy of the OS you depend on is the absolute last one that comes to mind for me....

B

14. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The thing is that XP has been a rock for me, if it wasn't for the damn Messenger warnings i would be happy as a bunny.

Downloaded one registry clean up program but thats limited to only 50 items, so got somewhere.

However, unless im doing it wrong Messanger keeps switching itself back on after i switch it off - any ideas?

15. kouljackson macrumors newbie

What program did you're girl have you install?
    :confused:

16. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

You've Confused me.

My girlfriend has MSN, well did as i un-installed thinking it was that was causing the problems until i found out from the above posters that Messenger is an in built program in XP and seperate from MSN messenger - sort of easy to arive at that conculsion.

Microsoft even state that on their web page about the Messenger program.

Anyway, once i turn Messenger off, which is quite easy, it will turn back on after the next boot.

Annoying.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you disable (instead of stop) the Messenger service it shouldn't start the next time at all, unless you have a virus/spyware that turns it on.

B

18. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

My 2 cents in this registry topic.......

I personally use Registry Mechanic to clean my registry... I love it...

And for all that spyware..... Spyware Doctor is also good....

19. kouljackson macrumors newbie

anytime i needs to fudge with my damn registery i just install windows. I spend alot of time Reformatting.

20. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I don't seem to have the option of Disabling a service, only Stopping.
    So i've made a shortcut of the Service icon on my desktop, not fantastic but a bit quicker and easier.

Installed Zone Alarm, quite painless and easy.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Right Click on the service, select Properties, set "Startup type" to "Disabled".

Typical Microsoft simplicity.

B

22. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Thanks, now why didn't Microsoft simply not give that as an option?

23. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which was the URL given by j26 in post #3, and so we come full circle. ;)

You have to think like them. Start/Stop are immediate actions that determine the state of th service now. You might want to stop it now and still have it start up again next time the system boots. So, the startup options are completely separate from that, but aren't readily accessible from the right click menu.

B

25. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Nah, still think it would be easier to give all the options on a right click, then you can simply right click again to re-enable.