Help with photo slideshow in iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gauchogolfer, Aug 20, 2006.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm trying to make a photo slideshow in iMovie so that I can incorporate several songs and sound effects, titling, etc. When I import using the media browser the quality of the images seems greatly degraded on my screen. The images I'm starting with are 8MP RAW photos in iPhoto.

Can I achieve full (or closer) resolution for my photos, or at least with less loss in quality compared to what I have now? Does it make more sense to make a slideshow in iPhoto and export it as a quicktime movie and import that directly into imovie? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like the resolution of your iMovie project is set too low. Are you perchance starting it as an MPEG-4 project instead of DV? It seems liek every time I do that I end up with 320x240 overcompressed junk. ;)

B

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yeah, I suppose it depends on what kind of movie project you start. I just tried with 720p and that looks OK using a picture from the movie browser. I can't tell for sure if there has been any loss of quality on top of the loss of resolution to 1280x720.

4. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm actually incorporating them into a .dv (widescreen) file, along with other regular .dv footage.

I've tried to do it separately as well, but with non-widescreen .dv , and the resolution seems to be the same. I'll give it another try this evening when I get home.

Thanks.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Perhaps you want to resize your images from 8MP down to closer to the resulution they will appear in in the slideshow (720x480 < 0.4 MP!) in iPhoto before creating the slideshow.

I usually start with pictures that are in the 1024x1536 (1.5 MP) range...

B