Help with Powerbook 165 password issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by evgret, Feb 29, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook 165 that I haven't used in 12 years. Back then I accidently password protected it and cannot remember what the password is. (I don't know what I was thinking). Is there any way around this?? I don't care about the computer, but there are files that I wanted to retrieve.

I'm sorry if i posted in the wrong section. This was my first visit. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Wow, 12 years! That's quite something. :) It's cool that it still works!

As for the password, do you know if you used a program called 'At Ease'? If so, this thread might possibly be of some help: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=43440 (post #4 in particular)

Good luck!

3. macrumors 65816

teleromeo

possibly this is some extension that loads when you start up. Try to start up holding the shift key pressed, that disables the extensionss.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips...

When I boot up regularly it starts up just fine (for a 14 year old machine), and the password screen appears.

When I hold down the shift key it sounds as though it is booting up but then the screen stays light grey without anything on it at all. Am I perhaps doing it incorrectly?

Should I press the start button and then quickly press the shift key down? Or press the shift key and then hit the power button? How long do I technically hold the shift key down for?

I'm sorry these are such stupid, basic questions but I really want my files!

Thanks again for the help!