help with printer sharing on 10.2

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iapple, Aug 24, 2002.

1. iapple macrumors regular

Apple says 10.2 has USB printer sharing capabilities.

How does it work?

I have a
    Lexmark X83 printer
    PB G4 667 (without DVI)

an iBook I want to share the printer with

help will be greatly appreciated!

I'm guessing you do it with Print Center, but I'm not sure how..
    I have switched on "Printer Sharing" in the Sharing preference panel

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would like to know the same thing. I have a USB laser printer (samsung 1210) and I have a 450 MHz powermac and a 333 mHz iMac, the printer is hooked up to the iMac, how do I print from the powermac to the printer ? Help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if this is only possible in 10.2 or 10.1 also.

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

USB Printer Sharing

In 10.2 it's pretty easy.

Go to System Prefs>Sharing

In the list of boxes in the center, check the box beside "Printer Sharing". If you have AirPort as your network or you have a home network with a router, all you have to do is select the printer that is connected to your USB Printer server (the machine that physically ahs the printer connected) on the remote machine. That is it. Click "print".

Occasionally, you will get an error message that says "Printer Error" on a remote machine. go to Apple Menu>Locations>Network Preferences, and type "local" in the box (no quotes though). That should fix the error message.

This is only available on OS 9 or OS X 10.2, NOT in 10.1.x. Sorry. By the way, the computers MUST be sharing a network, either physical or wireless for this to work.

Gus

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

By the Way...

I'm not positive if all printers are supported. I am using it with an older Epson 740 through my PowerMac G4 on an AirPort network, so I am assuming that it will work with most of the newer printers as well.

Enjoy!

Gus

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay if i have an airport base station there is no need for me to have a router right? the airpost acts likes a router?

all i need for my network at home is an airport...right?

6. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

You are right

You only need the ABS to do this, as long as both machines (the one with the printer connected to it, and whatever other computer you are using) have an AirPort card, but you already knew that. So, yes, that's it:

10.2 (On all the machines you want sharing the printer)
    2 or more AirPort equipped Macs
    AirPort Base Station
    USB Printer

Gus

P.S. You MIGHT be able to use a mix of 10.2 and OS 9 machines on the same printer sharing network. I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure about that, but I don't see why not.

7. saint macrumors regular

Re: You are right

If someone can get this to work, please tell me. For me, this will make Jag worth the money. Otherwise I probably won't get it. I have a printer connected to an iMac with OS 9, and want to access it from an iBook with OS X.

cheers

8. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

9 and X

Saint,

while looking through the documentation from Apple about OS 9 printer sharing, it looks as though this is not only possible, but easy. Open the USB Printer Sharing control panel in OS 9. If you don't have it, it is a small download from Apple's Software Download section.

Go to Apple Menu>Control Panels>USB Printer Sharing. You can set up the iMac printer sharing from there. If you are on AirPort, then with the iBook, it should just be amatter of selecting the printer from the list in Print Center. If you get a print error, see the above instructions. If all of this doesn't work, you'll have to wait for someone else to respond. This SHOULD work though, because both programs use the IP address from your local network (AirPort).

Good Luck!

Gus

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: You are right

okay cool. how bout the cable modem? will both machines be able to share internet access with an airport? i think this is a stupid question but what the hell.

10. saint macrumors regular

Re: 9 and X

Thanks Gus. I assume it will not be much harder if I don't have AirPort? Anyway, you have convinced me to buy 10.2

cheers

11. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Will it work if your using a mixed physical and AirPort network? AND, What if the printer is connected to a computer running 10.1.5 and trying to print from a computer running 9.1?:confused:

12. big macrumors 65816

big

I can not get an iBook on airport to print to my G3 printer (both running 10.2), though they both see the printer in print center. I just get "print error" no other explanation from the computer, that's all it says

looks like there will be an update to this (hopefully soon!)

13. saint macrumors regular

I think Yes and No to your 2 questions. The mixed physical and Airport network should not be a problem. But USB printer sharing doesn't work with 10.1.5, it only works with OS 9 or OS 10.2, but nothing in between.
    There is a small chance that if the 10.1.5 computer has classic running, and both computers are set up for printer sharing, it might work, but I have never tried it.

14. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Q and A

First of all, big, look up in the posts (around my first one here) and I explain how to fix that "Printer Error" message.

Saint-right on-just 10.2 and 9, nothing in between. I tried the printer sharing in Classic once, but it didn't work for me. You may get different results though.

MacMaster- as long as all of the computers connected wither wirelessly or physically share the same local network it will work. If they are two separate networks, you might get it to run, but it will take some IP address messing, and I am not able to do that for you (I ain't that smart).

Hope this helps!

Gus

15. MacMaster macrumors 6502

So...

...it will work when the computer which has the printer is connected to it is running 10.2(other computer still running 9.1)right?

16. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Yes

Yes, that should work just fine, but you may have to set the IP address manually on the OS 9 machine though.

Gus

17. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Share Mac Printer with PC

I have 10.2 installed on my G$ - connected vbia USB to an HP Laserjet 1200.

How do I share it with my PC?
    My PC and Mac are on the same network/router.
    My PC can see and share files from the Mac.

When I try to set up the printer on the PC it sees the networked Mac, but does not show any printers.

Any ideas?

Yes, Printer sharing is turned on in Sharing on the Mac.

18. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Re: Yes

o i c

btw...this won't be a problem for long.:rolleyes: The computer running 9.1(PM 9500 from my profile) will soon be running 10.2 also!:D

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay new question...

i have a c60 epson printer... will i have trouble trying to connect that to an airport for network to 2 puters??

you know since the printer only has usb connection and the airport only enternet.

20. big macrumors 65816

big

Gus-

>First of all, big, look up in the posts (around my first one here) and I explain how to fix that "Printer Error" message.

well, I went to the Apple Menu>Locations>Network Preferences, and type "local" in the box (no quotes though) the only box to type local into is either dhcp client, dns servers or search domains.

I have been seeting up mac networks for years and this one print issue stumps me...which box do you type local into?

21. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Sorry

Sorry about that! Yeah, you'll want to type it into "Search Domains".

About the c60 printer: maybe I was confusing before, but the printer needs to be connected to one of the machines that is on the AirPort network. See, the machine that the printer is connected to acts as like a printer server for the other machine.

Gus

22. big macrumors 65816

big

WOOOOOOOOOO HWHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

many hugs and kisses GUS! can I give you like 10 posts to get gus closer to his avatar for that one? COOOOOOOOL

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Sorry

okay so you have the c60 printer connected to a mac. that mac is connected wireless to the airport by the air port card etc. so the other puter thats not connected to the printer by a cable at all is connected to the airport by the airport card in it and thus connected to the printer? so the print sever machine is a print sever machine because of the airport and it being connected to the printer through its connection by cable to the printer? or am i way off on this? man i hope that was understandable because im not sure if i understand it. oh well :D

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

dude i just read that again and i got confused. hell man.

25. big macrumors 65816

big