Help with printing in Quark...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Screamingbeaver, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

I hope someone out there can help me with this...When I output a job in Quark, if a font is missing it defaults to courier. Is there a way I can make it reject the job entirely (not output the job) instead of substituting fonts? Where would one control this option? Thanks a bunch for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

'Beaver

2. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

I have a great piece of advice. Switch to InDesign.

3. Screamingbeaver thread starter macrumors member

not so fast....

And this would help....how....? That is another issue altogether. Here at all of our workstations are runnin' Quark. It seems so simple what I'm tryin' to do. When I open a Quark job (we are runnin' Suitcase) if for some reason we have a customer supplied font, we get a alert dialog that states we have missing fonts. We have had Operators that blow past this alert and output a job with the font missing, there for the substitute courier. I was just thinkin' that there would be a way to not substitute a font and alert the Operator again that the font is missing.

Thanks again, I know your tryin' to help. Hey, if it was up to me, I would switch to InDesign.

'Beaver

4. loser macrumors newbie

What are you outputting to? If it's an imagesetter or other device with a software RIP, you might have a preference or setting in that app that will stop the job if fonts are missing. Quark will only warn you, but give you the chance to proceed because it is possible the font resides on your output device and would come out correctly.

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am doing this blind, because Quark has gone bybye from my hard drive since InDesign-

Go to ?Utilities? > Usage (where you can check the links and fonts). Whenever you have a font with an asterisk, that font is missing and you will get the courier.

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

is the reasons why companies haven switched to indesign because of money or because they are affraid of change? or something else entirely different? because dang man... indesign is just much more of a higher quality app.

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

can't you just include the font with the output? I know when we used to do the school paper in quark, we just included all the relevant files including the fonts

8. jvaska macrumors 6502

indesign is NOT a quality product yet...it needs work...i think in version 3.0 they will have it...

of course...quark 5 osx is almost here...jv

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Help with printing in Quark...

If there's any chance to control it, it's going to be in the preferences or print dialogs in version 5.x.

If your customers are using version 5.x, the "Collect..." (pre-flight) option under the file menu works well to keep everything together including fonts and images although the links dialog sometimes complains that things are not linked even when they are.