Help with purchasing Home Theatre.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neoelectronaut, May 21, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I want to get a Home Theatre/Surround Sound setup for my home. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal reccomendations for me.

I saw a $55 Duraband one in wal-mart the other day on clearance. I think I may get it, just as a starter.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    what are you willing to spend?
    how many speakers are you looking for?
    what decoders are you looking for (DTS, DDS, etc)?

Very importantly, how big is the room you're going to set it up in.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

The best thing I ever did was check out epinions.com once I'd narrowed it down a bit. I checked out a bunch of sites, finally settled on a kenwood system that seemed to offer the most bang for the buck. Sounds great. I checked prices at lots of places, found it would cost around $300 bucks. Went to epinions and foudn a kenwood system 2 tiers above the one I was looking at for 80 bucks LESS from some little store in New Jersey, the list price at kenwoods site was like 500 bucks. Shipping was like 70 bucks, but that was still cheaper than the more inferior system I was considering. So the point is, take your time, narrow it down to a few models, then search all over for a good price. A dael like I got might not be that easy to find, so take into consideration shipping costs. I found best buy and circuit city to be very competitive in the lower end home theater system market because they offer free shipping on everything and generally low prices anyway on those sorts of things.

I'm happy with my kenwood system. Looks professional, sounds fine, came with a powerful subwoofer, and I definiltey think I got the best for my money (its a 600 watt system with an 8" subwoofer, dts and dolby, and has multiple digital audio ports). Now if only the sound engineers for the DVD industry could do a decent mixing job. Its such a delight to get a well engineered DVD, but frnakly, too many of them just utilize surround sound enough to be distracting.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

You aren't going to get anyhting that sound very good for that price but if you wanted to spend a little more paradigm speakers are awsome. There website is also very informative.

http://paradigm.com/Website/News/news6.html

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

for $200-$300, your best bet is to buy a "Theater in a box" (TIAB) sets... honestly, it wont sound good at all in a large room (anything over 15" x 20"), or if you want to have glasses shattered with hifi. I have more than $200 in cables alone on my 6.1 system, and I just blew out my subwoofer a few weeks ago. LOL @ myself.

Kenwoods TIAB are pretty good, as are Sony's.. i think you can get one for around $250. But if it's a small room, and you aren't an audiophile, they'll work just fine.

7. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

In the same vein; I already own a nice Sony 6.1 receiver and I'd like to buy some speakers next.

Can I get something decent for $300-$400? Speakers alone, I'm not worried about anything else yet.

Thanks for the help.
    FD

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

$200-$300 isn't going to get you much. I also highly recommend Paradigm but they are in your price range. I'd recommend going to BB and auditioning their speakers. They have an Athena set that's nice, some Klipsh among others.

Just don't, please don't, get any Bose. You also have the option of getting a few speakers at a time. You need a REALLY good center channel, that's 80% of home theater. Then your front left and right, then a really good sub. The surrounds don't need t be much, because they are mostly sound effects and music. Go to Best Buy and at least get an idea what you are up against.

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Oh, i was at Fry's over lunch, and saw a Philips set for $197.. it's not bad. and it's in your price range... if there's one near you. there was a decent package from panasonic for $249 too.

10. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Finally a fellow Bose hater....Bose Just Blows (For Home Theater)

11. marano macrumors member

marano

Check out Sony's speakers (SS-MF550H (Fronts), SS-MB150H (Rears), SS-CN550H(Center), SA-WM25(Sub)) they are in your price range and they are a pretty good bang for the buck