Help with Remote Login and routers!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sir42, Oct 9, 2005.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to use Remote Login to access my work computer from home (both macs). When I select Remote Login in Sharing, I am told to connect to my computer by typing in "ssh myname@192.168.1.100" When I try that from another computer in my office, I connect without a problem. When I try to connect to my computer from home, however, it doesn't work.

My computer in the office is connected to the internet through a Linksys router. I sought some advice, and if I'm understanding correctly, I need to connect to my router's IP, not my computer's, is that correct? When I go to www.whatismyip.com from any computer in my office I am given the same IP address (let's say xx.xxx.xxx.xxx). So I think that's the router's IP.

I went onto my router and opened up ports 427, 548, and 22 and told my router to forward all traffic from those ports to 192.168.1.100 (my computer). Assuming I did this correctly, wouldn't I need to type in the following to connect remotely: "ssh myname@xx.xxx.xxx.xxx"?

I've attached a screenshot of my Linksys router with what I think are the open ports. Did I even open the ports correctly?

thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. jonat8 macrumors regular

In your pic, under Ext. Port, shouldn't it be, for example 427 To 427 rather than 0 To 427. That's how my router works (but mine is a D-Link).

3. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I made the changes but I'm afraid it's still not working.

Is it possible that I'm still using the wrong IP address? Like I said, I tried both the one that my mac told me to use in Sharring preferences, and the one I obtained by going on to www.whatismyip.com.

4. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to get a sense of the problem here. I called Linksys tech support, and they said I should be using the WAN IP address listed in the Status section of the router setup. The trouble is that IP address begins with 192.168. From what I understand, that is a private IP address. However, a real/public IP address should be listed there. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

My only thought is that the way your setup you have a router connected to a router which is connected to your computers. So internet>router 1>router 2>your computer and router 2 is what you did port forwarding on. check your cables. Is there a hidden router?

6. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's exactly what's going on. I have a DSL modem that's connected to my Linksys router. I called Linksys tech support again and they think that my DSL modem is also acting as a router. They suggested I call my ISP and ask them to turn off the router function on the modem. So I took their advice and called my ISP (Broadview Networks). Their tech support hasn't called me back yet but I'm hoping this will solve my problem.

I'm surprised it's this hard. I would think that I'm not the only person interested in remote login who's connected to the internet via a router and a DSL modem. I'll keep everyone posted unless anyone else any thoughts on the matter.