Help with removing Windows XP from Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bluebug, Jul 26, 2006.

1. bluebug macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2006
    Hi all,
    My well meaning mother got me a new MacBookPro with Windows installed (which I don't need or want). I would like to have my hard drive space back so I can install the rest of my mac programs, but windows is taking up too much of the partition.

Is there a way to remove Windows and get that partition back to OSX? I have tried installing Bootcamp to uninstall Windows, but there is not enough hard disk space for the installation!

Any ideas?
  2. projectle macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2005
    What you will want to do is first boot into OS X Install Disc, delete the Windows Partition with the Disk Utility and note the Disk ID, then go into your terminal.

# resizeVolume <diskID> <size>

Problem solved.
  3. bluebug thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2006

Thanks so much! I don't know why that didn't even occur to me...
  4. iCeQuBe macrumors regular

May 19, 2005

You could also just re-run bootcamp and then select revert to original and it should delete the windows partition and reclaim the space.
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Getting rid of Windows, my favorite thing to hear bluebug. Congrats on your new MacBook Pro. :)
  6. iCeQuBe macrumors regular

May 19, 2005
    True... It is a good choice if you can do without windows completely!

7. Bulldog69 macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2009
    I need to remove windows xp also, but in mi case the macbook does not have mac os installed, I tried to boot from the mac os disk but wont boot. Please help.
  8. HLdan macrumors 603

Aug 22, 2007
    How is it that the Mac OS is not installed?