Help with Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by i-sidd, Dec 27, 2006.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Apr 27, 2006
    I really don't know about routers, so excuse my stupid question? I need a router, wireless if possible probably under $50. Which routers do you guys recommend. I need a G router, for my Mb which I will be getting inanother 5 days and my GF Laptop. I just need to use the internet around the house withot loosing connection and with good speed.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
  3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 27, 2006
    Which D-link router would you recommend. Also is D-link better and user friendly than the Linkys routers.
  4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I would recommend the DLink WBR 1310. I have it, works great with my MBP and wired to PC.
  5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 27, 2006
    ChickenSwartz, I went and looked at the reviews of people who have bought it and most of them are dissapointed with the router. They say that it looses connection frequently.
  6. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Where did you read the reviews? Check out Circuit City's customer reviews.

EDIT: Good price at CC this week too.
    Also, I have *never* had this router drop the connection. Only thing that I don't like is that I can't get my MBP to automatically connect to the router, I have to select the network and put in my WAP pw manually.
  7. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2006
    Peace in Plainfield
  8. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 27, 2006
    I read the customer reviews at newegg and they said horrible things about it. I also looked at the linksys WRT54G. How is this router?
  9. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Take the newegg reviews with a grain of salt. I don't remeber why, but others have said that their reviews are sad.

I had the WRT54G. It has problems with Macs. I think they might have fixed it, I can't say because I sold mine to buy the D-Link. I spent hours on hold with Linksys to have them tell me that is was an Apple problem only to release a fix (maybe) a few weeks later. Needless to say, I am not looking to buy another Linksys product for a while.
  10. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    When the Netgear DG834G first came out, it used to reset the connection all the time. Loads of purchasers wrote bad reviews for it. Had these people visited the Netgear website they would have found a firmware update that fixed the problem. Everyone with that version of the firmware onwards raved about the router.

Check out the manufacturers support knowledgebase when you read of a particular issue on a router. Sometimes you'll find it's already been fixed, but people are just unaware.
  11. drison macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2005
    I have the Linksys WRT54GL flashed with the open source DD-WRT firmware and it is awesome. Make sure you get either this one or one that is supported. The firmware that comes with most linksys is the problem point with Macs. The open source firmware runs linux and is very stable and extremely capable. You can do almost anything you can imagine.

12. WingIV macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
    Honestly, most routers are pretty good. I've had really bad experience with Netgear routers. I've messed with my friend's D-Link router, and it seems fine. Belkin I hear is okay but their customer service and support ain't as good as D-Link's and Linksys. I prefer Linksys since they offer really good support for any problem you have, but the support the phone support they give is only for PC's. Honestly though, as long as you have a PC to set it up, it doesn't matter since everything else is web based and doesn't matter. Also, Linksys is the most open to bioses (basically the operating system for the router) since they're based on linux. I would suggest the WRT54GL, but the WRT54G is good also. Hope this helps.
  13. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 27, 2006
    Ok, So the price on the d-link is good at circuit city now. And as you said that the linkysys has problems with Macs. I will pull the trigger on the d-link. I hope nothing goes wrong.
  14. chasemac macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2005
    In a house.
    I just want to add that I have had two D-Link routers and that have been excellent with my Macs & PC. Very easy to setup and works great. Go for it!