Help with running vMac?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kidman13, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Kidman13 macrumors regular

Kidman13

So I just found this great little program called Mini vMac, which lets you run like what looks to be Mac Os 1 on any OS.

Now I was hoping if anyone could help me out with running this on windows. I've been busy for an hour but all I get is the little floppy sign with a question mark or a X when I load an image.

I just want to load this up and play with it a bit, should be fun. You guys can check it out at http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The floppy question mark means no valid OS can be found on any disk including the hard disk.

The X floppy means you inserted a floppy disk with no OS, or a bad OS, or an incompatible OS version.

vMac emulates a Mac Plus, which can run System 1.1 through 7.5.5. All of the screen shots I can see on their site are of what appears to be 7.5.5, which would make sense since Apple offers 7.5.5 as a free download from their web site.

It wasn't technically called the "Mac OS" until version 7.6. Before that it was the "System Software."

3. Kidman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Kidman13

Ohhh I see. That wasn't what I was looking for. Is there anyone I can find and play with the very first Mac system software. The one showed at Macworld at 1985 and spoke those memorable lines about steve, and displayed the GUI and wrote HELLO in paint?

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You'll find the earliest versions of the OS a bit unusable and clumsy, as they were rapidly replaced. By late 1989 System 6 was already out, making the System 1 - System 6 era less than five years. System 6 was finally good and stuck until late 1991, when it was replaced by System 7, which was even better, and lasted until mid to late 1997.

I would recommend choosing either System 6.0.8 or System 7.1.

They all can speak.

5. chupathingy901 macrumors newbie

Help Me Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: I have Mini vMac with system 6.dsk image for it. I downloaded uninvited from a site called the underdogs. It downloaded to my windows documents as 7 files (uninvited, uninvited graphic, uninvited title, uninvited save ect). How do i get the Uninvited files INTO Mini vMac?!?!?!?!?!??!?! PLease help i've spent so much time trying to do this. Please email me (chupathingy901@aol.com) or reply! THANKS!!!!!!