HELP with Safari and Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jason2811, Mar 12, 2007.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I've been having some trouble with Firefox recently so I'm trying to get into using Safari. There are just a couple of things that I like in Firefox that I would like to do in Safari:

1) Is there a way to set up Safari so that each time I download a file it asks me where I want it downloaded to? Firefox has the "Always Ask Me Where to Save Files" option but Safari doesn't seem to. I check in the Safari preferences and tried "other" but that still doesn't solve the problem for each download.

2) Is there anyway in Safari to get the find bar (when I press APPLE + F) to remain at the bottom of the screen like it is in Firefox? I hate the little pop up Find box that Safari has.

3) Is there any way for Safari to open new pages in a new tab rather than a new window like Firefox 2.0 does?

Thanks!

2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Not sure about the other two, but:

3) going to Preferences in Safari and selecting Tabbed browsing should do the trick. (then just control-T like in 'fox). Control+click opens new pages in tabs I just found.

3. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Hmm, not as far as I know. I guess their reasoning is that it's just as quick to hit F11 and drag the file to where you want it.

Yeah the find in Safari is rubbish at the moment, but sorting this out in Leopard - copying the Firefox way but making it look cooler!

Just Apple-Click the link. Although sometimes this does not work and a new window opens anyway. Ctrl-Click (or right-click) and "open in new tab" always works, for some reason.

4. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Awesome! That'll be so much better, that was my pet hate about Safari...

5. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

#1 is what bothered me the most. Is there really no way to remedy this?

And with #2, is there a way to own items in a tab rather than a new window WITHOUT control +click. In FF 2.0 this just happens autmatically.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is an addon for safari called "safaristand", which can do singlw windows mode, u can search for it. Note: the safari stand is in conflict with any webkit nightly build if u ever want to try one.

7. KarynGee macrumors newbie

How to Log into Safari

Sorry I put this in here, but I couldn't find how to start a new thread.

Anyway, I want to put parental controls on Safari, but it says that I cannot put parental controls when logged in as the administrator. How do I log in as anything else and how to I prevent anyone else logging in as the administrator?

Thanks.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First, you need to create a second account. Go into System Preferences -> Accounts and click the plus sign. Choose something other than administrator as the account type, and set a password on the administrator account that only you know, so others can't log into it.

Once that's done, you should be able to configure parental controls for the second account from your administrative account.

9. KarynGee macrumors newbie

Okay, I figured out how to create another account, but do they have to enter a password in order to use it? I want them not to know, if possible.

Thanks.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No, you do not need to set a password for the second account - just leave it blank. Then, whoever needs parental controls can simply click their icon on the login screen (you'll need to log out of your account for this to show up), and they'll be in, with their own settings (so they can't mess up your personal settings).

11. KarynGee macrumors newbie

Ah, but they do have to click on their own icon, so they will know they are logging into "their" own account, right?

Thanks,
    Karyn

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, that is correct. Make sure you tell them which one's theirs.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There are also add-ins that do this. The most well-known one is AcidSearch. Its primary purpose is to let you define multiple search engines as Firefox does, but it also has a fairly sophisticated bottom-of-window search bar. I don't use it anymore, though, FWIW, because Inquisitor is so hot. :eek: Also P.S. when you use AcidSearch, be sure that you go look for a new version before you install an update that updates Safari. In the past there have frequently been issues with Safari updates and this tool not getting along. But otherwise, it's a simple but nicely designed tool. :)