Help with Safari

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 13erla, Sep 20, 2003.

1. 13erla macrumors newbie

Help get a safari update

If you are in IE and do command+left arrow

you page back. however if you are in safari and you have your cursor in the address bar and do command+left you don't go back. you go to the start of the address bar...

if you have cursor in IE you go back.

Help Apple implement this by sending in the Bug to apple.

hopefully we can get enough people so that Safari will receive this update

2. big macrumors 65816

big

I've always wanted a key command to "go back"

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Hit Command-[ to go back, even if the URL field is active. Command-] goes forward.

4. big macrumors 65816

big

sweet, it works!

but why can we not program our own keys? we should be able to do that by now....

also, why is there not uniformity in all Apple apps, for selecting the prefs from the File menu?

ie, in iTunes, it is command+Y, in safari, its command+,

odd huh?

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I don't remember ever using command-(left arrow). I've always used command-[ and command-], in every browser I've ever used. I suspect a lot of the "conformity" you speak of is based on industry standards. Apples keystrokes for Safari most likely conform to those of other browsers so that the user can utilize already familiar keystrokes, and not have to relearn. What it the best choice of keystroke for one app is not necessarily the best for another.

6. big macrumors 65816

big

yeah, but remember when Jobs said "we will have more uniformity across apps"?

I was expecting the key commands to be more alike, though this is probably minimal, compared to how it looks </sarcasm>

7. 13erla thread starter macrumors newbie

yes uniform for prefs would be ideal...

it's stupid with ", . y and everything else"

i findmyself not memorizeing the prefs and just clicking on it...

but command+left arrow should go back even if it's int he address bar...

that's what i'm trying to get fixed in safari.. it's my biggest peeve with Safari;.... sure all the other problems are important too but still.. command+left woud be nice..

also if you have a 4 buttom mouse and are inthe address bar is doesn't work there either...

help getting this a major release would be sweet...

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

An even easier way to go back a page in Safari is the delete key. Unfortunately, I haven't found a one-button shortcut for forward, so I still use command-]. Another one-key shortcut is space for page down (shift-space is page up).

EDIT: After reading the shortcut page mentioned in my following post, I found that shift-delete = forward. Not a one key solution, but it goes along with the delete mnemonic and it's easier to hit than command + anything since both keys are bigger and are at the end of the keyboard.

9. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

command + , is the new mac standard for prefs, found in the HI guidelines as of 1/17/2003 (mentioned in the keyboard and mouse shortcuts page found in safari's debug menu). What version of iTunes are you running? Mine uses command + ,.