Help with saved search (smart folders)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Westside guy, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi,

I haven't used the "smart folders" function in OS X before, but I thought it'd be a good way to congregate a listing of all my main Applications in one place - I want it to include /Applications as well as ~/Applications. Setting up kind:applications works fine; but when I try to add a path suddenly it's empty. Could anyone point out my error?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Savings macrumors member

Try setting the folder to Applications using the location selector area at the top of the window like so:
    [​IMG]

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does that search criteria (file pathname) even work? I got the same results as you; I tried only using one search criteria (i.e. no kind criteria) and no matter what permutation I tried, nothing was ever found by the pathname criteria.... :(

What Savings suggested works, but only allows you to select one path, as far as I know....

4. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi,

Yes that works, and thank you for the response - but what I really want is a smart folder that contains the list of all applications in ALL my application folders. Having a smart search on applications that are just in the /Applications folder would basically be (mostly) identical to the /Applications folder itself. ;)

5. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well it's good to know I wasn't being completely brain dead! :D I'm glad to hear it's not working for you either - at least I THINK I'm glad...

6. Savings macrumors member

My method didn't include all of the Applications subfolders? Or you wanted more folders? You could always add multiple folders using my method with the "others" option.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh! I forgot all about the "others" button. Yeah, that should solve the issue.

8. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Cool, that works. Thanks!

Too bad the other method is broken, though. I did some Googling and apparently this is an issue other people have run into as well.