help with sharing files between XP and 10.3

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rarora, May 2, 2004.

1. macrumors member

I need some help mounting my shared folder in 10.3

I have the folder to be shared selected, sharing enabled. All that is okay. when I try to 'Connect to server' i put in smb://ipaddress/foldername

it comes up with a login screen to logon to the XP machine. No matter what i put in, it tells me error code -36, could not be read or written. I look at the console and i found it generates the following error:

mount_smbfs: tree connect phase failed: syserr = RPC struct is bad

any ideas? this shouldn't be this hard....

xp firewall is disabled btw...please help

-new switcher

2. macrumors 65816

abhishekit

ur mac n xp may be in diffrnt workgroups..
    so either
    change the workgroup of your mac, by opening applications-utilities-directory access..click smb. clck configure
    or
    in connect to server, use this command
    smb://work_group;user_name@netbios_name

here work_group is the workgroup of ur xp, user name and netbios name are also of ur xp...

if u dont know the netbiosname and workgroup of ur wondows machine, open terminal in ur mac..its in applications-utilities
    write smbfind ...hit enter..it wd tell u..

cheers

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. All the directory access options are greyed out for me. Dont' know why, I have admin privledges on the mac but it won't let me touch them.

Smbfind tells me command not found.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I didnt' realize i had to click the lock to make changes. The workgroup names appear to be the same in XP and OS X. They are both called "WORKGROP"

5. thread starter macrumors member

Should there be an entry for the WINS server box?

6. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

7. macrumors 65816

abhishekit

yah ..that sticky is very good..read it...and actually u should be able to connect without much fuss...i am not in the same workgroup as the windows machines in my house..but still , by smb://workgroup;...
    i m able to get in..

8. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the thread link, I'll try that when i get home. I noticed that I didnt have a password setup for the admin account(the only acnt on the machine)...according the thread you have to have an acnt with an associated password....i setup a password late last night but still no luck....howerver, i haven't rebooted since....i'll try that when i get home tonight.

9. macrumors 65832

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

YOU NEED TO HAVE A PASS ON YOUR ADMIN ACCOUNT!:rolleyes:

BTW, it shouldnt matter what workgroup they're in. My XP and PB r in diff workgroups (ie MSHOME and WORKGROUP) but i can still connect. It even (most of the time)shows up in the network side panel. I can get a pass prompt by going to go>connect to server>smb://XPbox/ watch on the login screen. Mac OS X does the shortname "firstlast." XP uses the Real Name "First Last" You need a space there to be able to login. then i select my SMB share and it mounts. I had some trouble yesterday, but that was when my netinfo thing was messed up if anyone saw that thread. :D let us know if u get it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. thread starter macrumors member

Awesome guys, thanks, i got it to work. It was the admin w/out a password problem (for which I blame win xp, is it just me or does it not seem right to allow one to create an admin account without a password? does os x allow this as well?)

11. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Another thing to note when going from Mac -> PC is in the PC networking control panel -> IP -> Advanced -> WINS -> I had checked "Disable NetBios under TCP" (or something similar). I just solved this problem 5 minutes ago and I had been wondering why I couldn't get it to work.

I don't know how that got checked because this used to work months ago. Finally.