Help with software choices

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brentg33, Mar 6, 2007.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    very new to Mac, just got a macbook pro yesterday......tried to get a DVD ripping program, seems though mactheripper.org is down....is there another to suggest? also, as far as a bit torrent client.....whats the best one to use?

thanks
    brent

2. clifflui macrumors newbie

clifflui

3. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

mac the ripper is irreplaceable. If the site is down, wait for it to come back up, you won't regret it ;) . As far as a bittorrent client, I use Transmission because it's simple and lightweight, but other people will recommend other clients like Azureus for features.

Cheers :)

4. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

With Burn can i burn videos so that they play on my DVD player?

5. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Burn does indeed do video DVDs. I've never used it with Handbrake, but since they're both free, you may as well just try them out :)

6. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for getting back to me, i downloaded Bittorrent, but have yet to use it....is transmission better?

7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I think transmition alot more, it opens you torrents super fast, and i find it to be faster, not that my freaking stupid download speed of 20KB/s is much better:rolleyes:

8. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok this might sound silly, but how do you uninstall a program in os x?

9. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Not a stupid question at all, (you used windows before huh?:) ) Simply drag the application to the trash, and reboot! Ok, just kidding about the reboot, but seriously, that's it. There's no registry on OSX so there's no "uninstaller" for most apps. Some apps (like system level apps) will come with an uninstaller.

10. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks, i just did that with the application "bit torrent" i just put it in the trash, i also saw that there was a folder for it in my library folder....under application support....so i got rid of that too...is that ok? this whole mac thing is going to take some getting used to.....especially this whole not worring about viruses and such....thanks to all so far who have been very nice to me in this forum
    brent

11. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Yeah, that's where your preferences are typically stored. good to know if you ever screw a program up and want to "start over."

12. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

AppZapper

To uninstall you want to remove all associated files, which you can do manually, or with a program like AppZapper. I agree with all the above comments.

Ben

14. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Yes

15. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks, i will look for that app. I have a question about Transmission. Before on a PC i was using Utorrent....and when i selected a torrent to dl off a random site, it would automatically open up Utorrent. How can i make that happen for transmission? Or if that cant happen, how do you start dl torrents with transmission??? And finally, does anyone here worry about any kinda virisues when dl torrents and what not?? (its gonna take a while to get the Windows/PC mindset washed away!)
    thanks(again)
    brent

16. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Once you install Transmission, OS X will see that it 'accepts' .torrent files and make it the default app. You'll probably be asked to confirm that selection the first time you double-click a torrent file.

In Safari, my usual system is just to download the torrent file, and double-click it in Safari's "Downloads" window, at which point Transmission pops open and goes into action.

17. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for getting back to me......perhaps i am installing applications incorrectly....which part of the file (and please provide the file extention) should i be dragging to my application folder?

18. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There is no extension. Here's how it typically works:

1) You download a program. It's in a disk image, or DMG folder.
    2) You open this disk image file, and it mounts like a removable disk on your desktop.
    3) You open that disk, copy the application to your hard drive's Applications folder.
    4) Eject the disk like you would a removable drive.
    5) Delete the disk image file.
    6) There is no step 6. Well, except to then LAUNCH the application from your hard drive, if you want.

19. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, then i believe i installed transmission correctly, yet last night when i went to download a torrent, insted of opening up transmission.....it only downloaded the torrent file to my desktop.....is there a setting in transmission i missed to have it open automatically when i click on a torrent to download?

20. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Assuming you used Safari to download the .torrent file, there's a setting in Safari preferences to allow you to open 'Safe' files after downloading. If this is checked, and transmission still doesn't open automatically, then you will just need to double-click the .torrent file to open transmission manually

21. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Safari only automatically opens file types it knows are safe. You'll have to double-click the torrent file yourself to open it. You can just double-click the file on your desktop if you want. Personally, I have Safari set to save everything in a separate "downloads" folder so I keep my desktop tidy.