Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
hi all ,

i got a idea that just poped into my head - here's what i want to do

the pic below is a vague idea to help me explain , i want a shot of the the worktop (below) and i want another shot of a runner running accross it but very small.

how do you think i should go about doing this?

Attachments

• piccy.jpg
    piccy.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 144

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
liketom said:
hi all ,

i got a idea that just poped into my head - here's what i want to do

the pic below is a vague idea to help me explain , i want a shot of the the worktop (below) and i want another shot of a runner running accross it but very small.

how do you think i should go about doing this?

You mean something like this?
piccy copy.jpg

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
liketom said:
o yeah !! take it you just photoshopped that - i want to make the runner move

don't really understand what you mean, like an animation or a like a picture with slow shutter speed?

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Dafke said:
don't really understand what you mean, like an animation or a like a picture with slow shutter speed?
looking to make a movie clip - one pan of the worktop and on it a runner running over it like in your picture

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I think the OP wants to know how to take a movie of someone running, say infront of a blue-screen and impose them onto that kitchen background, to make it look like they're 3inches high and running across the kitchen top.

EDIT: Beat me to it! :)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
You could buy a cheap treadmill and spraypaint the entire thing green, then set it in a green room, and then key it out. Then all that will remain is the runner, and you can use keyframes to make it look like they're actually running accross. In order to make it look good, it must be shot from the exact same angle as the original counter shot, or else the perspective will look bad.

Difficult, I know, but i can't think of any other way. Unless you want to make a giant green room and have them just run through it..

Dafke

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2005
pdpfilms said:
You could buy a cheap treadmill and spraypaint the entire thing green, then set it in a green room, and then key it out. Then all that will remain is the runner, and you can use keyframes to make it look like they're actually running accross. In order to make it look good, it must be shot from the exact same angle as the original counter shot, or else the perspective will look bad.

Difficult, I know, but i can't think of any other way. Unless you want to make a giant green room and have them just run through it..

Yeah, for a movie that will be the way to do it

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
pdpfilms said:

lol

thats about the best i could come up with too - now where's that treadmill:p

what about filming the runner at the right angle/distance and then importing each frame into photoshop and then paint all but the runner green ?

this might be more the i can chew :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
liketom said:
lol

thats about the best i could come up with too - now where's that treadmill:p

what about filming the runner at the right angle/distance and then importing each frame into photoshop and then paint all but the runner green ?

this might be more the i can chew :D

if you're going to do that (which would be a huge pain, but certainly feasible and how they "used to" do it... more or less), you may as well just delete the background (everything but the runner) in each image... painting it green just serves to remove it later... if you're going to all that effort, just remove it then!

otherwise, you could use after effects and do a painstaking masking effort... again frame by frame....

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
looks like i'm going the cutting out route for each frame -

i might try to do a 3-4 sec preview tonight and see how i get on

thanks all for your advice

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
A treadmill wouldn't work anyway - the counter top is close enough that you're going to see part of the front of the runner on the right side and the perspective will change over to the left where you'll see part of the back side. If you had a treadmill you'd have to move the camera as they were running to get the same effect.

What you can do is shoot the video someplace that's monochrome, dress the runner is something that not the same as the background and you might be able to get away with chromakey.

I'm looking forward to the results.

I'm making a short film of my kid and I dressed him up in a black turtle neck, lit him and not the background and had a black fabric behind him. It worked out pretty good. All you saw was his face :D

linkity - its just the opening titles

D

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Simple, everyone likes to make things so complicated with Rotoscopin and all that frame by frame crap.

Find a LARGE open (indoor) space with solid color walls. Large being, with a wide angle lens, the edges of the frame being one corner and the the opposite corner. The kid should run almost touching the wall so he is as far away from the lens as possible, making him "small"

tripod the camcorder and have the kid run across the frame from one side to the next. have the tripod up higher in the case you want it to look less "straight on" and that you are taller than the kid.

Now you have video of someone running across the screen. You can now edit out the floor/walls with a key.

Another trick (less possible) is to have a roll of wiiiiiiide paper (wide enough to again take up the entire frame) that is like a windowshade in that it rolls down from the top and over the floor, so the floor and walls dont have an "edge"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.