help with student discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by arcterix100, Jul 17, 2004.

1. arcterix100 macrumors newbie

hi everyone. Im buying an ibook this week but the only problem is that i dont have a sufficient limit on my credit card to buy it at the online apple store. So the question is: can i buy it under my student account but with my father's credit card?? anybody did a similar procedure??

thanks

pete

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

If you mean logging onto the apple website saying you are a student and paying for the iBook with your father's credit card? Yes, i did the exact same thing only i ordered a powerbook. Theres nothing wrong with that. Apple knows most student don't have a credit card because the range of the student discount is from K-college. Therefore they know you wioll have to use someone elses credit card.

3. OziMac macrumors 6502

Well, your point about the lack of credit cards is informally true, a lot of students don't have credit cards so I doubt the ordering system is skewed against them - but the student discount is not K-College, it's exclusively higher education and education professionals.

4. arcterix100 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I know this might be a little late but i have done it in the last month. That is how i paid for my new G5 and 20in LCD. My mom put it on her card an i have to pay her back.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Thats not true. The student discount is from K-college. They just seperate K-High school and the college/university is it's own category.

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Actually, you're incorrect.

The STUDENT discount is only for higher education, i.e. college/university.

From the Apple Online Store higher education section:
    Who is Eligible To Purchase
    The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

1. Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
    2. Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

From the Apple Online Store K-12 section:
    Who is Eligible To Purchase
    The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

1. Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
    2. School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
    3. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
    4. Qualified homeschools
    5. Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

Notice that Students are not listed in the K-12 store, but they are in the higher education store.

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

ok, w/e it doesn't make anymore of a difference to me.

9. OziMac macrumors 6502

lol Don't worry Jzz, we'll keep your secret :)

As Eddie Murphy would say, you are studying at The University... The University of the United States ;)