Help with stuffit files and permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Angelus, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Angelus macrumors 6502

Hey i have this .sit file that i burnt to cd-r to give to my friend.He has a pc and a copy of stuffit expander except when he tries to expand the archive it says that he does not have permission to do so.I think i need to change the permissions of the file but i dont know which one to change it to exactly.
    Help would be very much appreciated,
    Angelus

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

You must have one of the most intelligent signatures on the boards.

First of all, I would make sure your OS is up to date (currently Mac X 10.2.5). Also, if you are using Stuffit Deluxe or DropStuff, make sure that is up to date. Make sure your PC buddy has the latest version of Stuffit Expander as well before you send it to him again.

Second, click on the stuffit file and go to Get Info. Expand the tab for "Ownership & Permissions". Make sure the access for both Owner and Group are set to Read & Write. Also, click on the Others menu and set permissions there to Read & Write.

Try that and see what happens.

3. Angelus thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the signature compliment.
    Ok il try that so.
    Will changing the actual owner or groups make any difference?
    Thanks again,
    Angelus

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

This just makes sure that ALL users of the file can access it. Some files are picky and will not allow certain users access.

There is also the possibility that the problem could be coming from the other end (i.e. PC), but I doubt it.