Help with switching - Outlook to Mail/Entourage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shumster, Jan 5, 2004.

1. shumster macrumors member

Aug 15, 2001
    I'm about to make the switch back to Apple after a few years of using PC's, and have got my eye on the 15" Powerbook.

Whilst I'm pretty confident of getting all my Office docs and other data across to the Powerbook, can anyone give me advice on transferring my Outlook XP (not Outlook Express) mail folders to either Mail or Entourage? Thanks
  2. nicorojas macrumors member

Jul 18, 2003
    Just do it last december 20, made the switch to an Al 15 powerbook 1Ghz.

After struggling with the mail, I found just one (free) solution that really works for Outlook XP. Here it is (rough description):

In your PC, d/l Netscape 7 and import your Outlook mail. Then copy the folder with your mail (just the files with no extension) to the corresponding folder in Netscape Communicator 4.7 (it is in Aplications OS9).

Actually I have to put all folders and subfolders as it they were on the same level, otherwise it only recognices the main folder, but not the sub-ones.

Then you can import it from Entourage (it doesn't work with Netscape 7 for OSX).

This supposedly works also with Mail, but not for me. Anyway, Mail can import from Entourage.

I may have forget a few steps, but this is it. Try to open the mails in each program (first, Netscape 7, then Netscape 4.7).

This method allow me to keep all my mails, folders and attachments, even though it mess some of the adresses.

The only difficulty I found was to locate the mail folders for each program (which I don't remember now). :D

Hope it helps. Sorry for the poor english.
  3. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2003
    Use an IMAP mail server if you can.
    Then you can drag and drop.