Help with Tagging using iDentify 2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nebulight, Mar 12, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I purchased Identify 2 as it works MUCH better for batch encoding tv shows vs subler. However I'm having issues with certain TV shows, mainly star trek shows. I've ripped all of the series and it won't recognize them. I've done them as Star.Trek.The.Next.Generation.S01E01.m4v and won't pick it up. TheTVDB has it as Star Trek: The Next Generation but I can't add the : Any suggestions?

2. NMF
    macrumors 6502a

NMF

Manually paste in the IMDB code.

For example, here's the IMDB page for The Avengers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/

The code is tt0848228. Paste that in the box in iDentify and it'll populate your files with all the correct info.

3. macrumors 68020

i use the regular identify, not sure if it hold through to identify2...

if you hit edit tags, in the bottom right there is an orange box that you can manually edit the show name, then hit rescan items.

you can also select a group of items, and edit the tags on them as a whole.

i have to do this with "american dad!"

4. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thats would only help for movies, identify does not use imdb for tv shows its uses TVDB

OP, when you click the file, and pick "edit tag" make sure video kind is TV show

also make sure in the botton right the info is right show name season and episode info

5. macrumors member

I had the exact same issue with next generation and identify 2. It has to match the tvdb exactly or it won't fill in the info. I believe if you type it in as Star Trek** The Next Generation_Se01_Ep01.mp4 it should work. So try replacing the colon with 2 stars and you should be good to go.

6. macrumors regular

In the title box enter the "name" of the episode.
    In the video Kind box, change from movie to TV show.
    In the Series/Show box, enter Star Trek The Next Generation
    In the Season box, enter the season "number"
    In the Episode box, enter the episode "number"
    Click Rescan Items.

See if this works. I had to mess with it while trying to add The X-Files series. I entered in some info till the scan found what I was looking for. Just make sure your album art is correct before you click save. LOL! I had a few issues with the database trying to give me Russian album art for a couple of my movies.

7. macrumors 68000

Actually Identify2 only uses IMDB ttxxxxxx codes for cross-referencing.

Movie and TV data is actually scaped from The MovieDB, TVDB, and tagChimp.

The IMDB ttxxxx codes work for many TV shows, but not all. I've had problems with various BBC specials, PBS Frontline, NatGeo etc....

The shows are on both IMDB and TVDB but using the ttxxx codes from IMDB wont find the corresponding entry from TVDB

Chris: Thanks for the ** hint, I'll have to try that.

8. macrumors member

No problem. Took me awhile to figure that out as I couldn't get the imdb codes to work with this series or Family Guy.

9. macrumors regular

Anyone else having issues with Identify? I've got the mac app store version. (520). It finds file tags OK, but when I go to save them, the program hangs and it has to be force quit. This then corrupts the video file.

10. macrumors 68000

Give us more info please

Where are your files located? On an internal drive, external, or NAS?

Are you using the optimized checkbox?

If you can give more info I can check it out on my various Macs.

11. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

only time i see it hang is when it was a MKV i converted to MP4, it takes sometimes 10 minutes to save but it eventually does if i dont touch it

12. macrumors 6502a

If only there were an app that took care of this FOR you. Something like what iDentify promised to do, and in most cases, doesn't do.

13. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ive taged over 500 movies and 200+ shows/series episodes have only ran into manaully having to fix missing data a handful of times

14. macrumors regular

Files are located on the internal hard drive. I'm not using the "optimize" checkbox either.

It's strange. I've had another play today, uninstalled and reinstalled the program. It is now tagging but its taking sometimes up to about 5 minutes per file to save the info.
    Up until about a week or two ago it would save it within a couple of seconds.

15. macrumors 601

Will this work in iflicks ?

16. NMF, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

NMF
    macrumors 6502a

NMF

So did anybody every figure out how to find Star Trek: The Next Generation using iDentify? I've tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread and none of them worked.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently TVDB has been down for the last half hour. *sigh* Why don't these apps just get their metadata directly from iTunes? I hate how unreliable and janky this whole process is.

17. macrumors regular

That is when I have had problems as well, when the file was converted from MKV. So not alone in that problem.