Help with the Mac Plus

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Seski, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Seski macrumors newbie

I want to get an old Mac running and hack it up, but when I turn it on, I get a floppy disk icon with an "X" in it. I have a disk that has "System 6.0.8 & Printer Tools", but if I insert that, I get a floppy disk with a question mark in it, and the disk ejects. I have an external HD.

Can a modem be used as a keyboard and mouse hub? If not, where can I get a mouse and keyboard?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I know the novelty factor of getting a Mac Plus sounds like a good idea, but once you actually get it running you'll realize you just wasted your time.

What do you mean by "hack it up"?

What do you mean by using a modem as a keyboard and mouse hub?

Chances are the System disks you're using are corrupted, but also I'm pretty sure that System 6.0.8 will not work on a Mac Plus, that's to new of a system to be used on that machine. You'll need System 6 or lower.

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    system 6 will work fine... I bet you just need a new copy of the system disks

4. Seski thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried putting the SEA files onto a floppy disk in Windows after I found an unpacked, but it didn't work.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Not a particularly helpful post considering 1) the OP didn't ask for an opinion whether or not it's worth the time, and 2) the Plus supports up to System 7.5.5.

First of all, the Mac Plus has an 800k floppy drive, which will not read any disk written to by a PC. It's simply not physically possible. Secondly, you'll need to decompress the SEA (self-extracting archive) first, and then install the files onto an 800k floppy to use on the Plus. In order to do this, you'll need access to an older Mac running OS 9 or earlier in order to create a boot floppy for a Plus.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can't deny it's a true statement though, other than my statement on System 6 (I didn't know of compatibility issues). So back off.

But again, what does hack it up mean? I would be willing to help out on this, but I don't really know of any particular hacks for a Mac Plus that are any use. Or are you just talking about getting the machine running?

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

For the full retro feel why not have a go with System 1 System 1 As mentioned you will need an older Mac to decompress the file and write it to a 400k or 800k floppy.

8. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

Collection and restoration are typically done for their own sake.

9. Seski thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said, I don't have a Mac, but my old teacher has tons of old software and computers, even a TRS 80.

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

You don't get it. So quit posting.

Seski, you'll need a newer Mac in order to get your Plus up and running. Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to send you a boot floppy.

11. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

I have 3 Pluses. One is a 128k Mac converted using Apple's upgrade kit (it has a signature case!), the other is a "real" beige Mac Plus and the third is a Platinum Plus. I got them all for free as I found them being thrown out at different times in different places and they all still work. Other than the retro-cool factor, they really aren't all that useful. Most people just turn them into Macquariums. Even if you find a CPU and RAM upgrade for them and get an external hard drive, you still aren't running anything newer than 7.5.5 on it because the ROMS aren't 32-bit clean, which is a requirement in 7.6 and above. Finding system disks, parts, and software gets harder every year and they can't use modern peripherals with USB, Firewire or Wi-Fi connections. I'm not certain you can even use Ethernet with them. You might be able to find what you need to surf the internet with a modem or connecting remotely through a newer Mac or PC, but it's going to be hard with the tiny b&w screen and you won't be able to use the latest media players so a lot of content won't be playable and the connection will be slow.

You're going to have to hit ebay for mice and keyboards. The earlier keyboards without the keypad will work with a Plus if you can't get a proper one. That's what I use on mine. Keep in mind that Apple used several keyboard/mouse connectors over the years that are unique from PC mice and keyboards. Be sure you know what you are buying as ADB and USB keyboards and mice will not work.

So, yeah, having a working Plus is cool if you don't plan on going too crazy with them, otherwise it's going to be a money pit to max it out and even then you won't be able to do much with it.