Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrj23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I'm in dire need of some help. Is there anyway to get past having to enter my password to access my external hard drive that I have connected to Time Machine? I used it to backup some files last year and the password I use for everything isn't working to unlock the hard drive. Is there a way that I can access this another way? I have some video files on there that I need in my portfolio and I can't afford to lose those. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

P.S. Would my Macbook restore from the backup even if I don't know the password? I was thinking of getting another external hard drive to save my current files on and then I was just going to restore the entire laptop if I have no other option.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can you clarify. Was this an encrypted TM backup? If so, without that password, you are not going to be able to see any data on that volume and there is no way around it.

jrj23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Can you clarify. Was this an encrypted TM backup? If so, without that password, you are not going to be able to see any data on that volume and there is no way around it.

Yeaa it was encrypted. So am I **** out of luck? Can I restore the computer with that backup, or would I need the password for that?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeaa it was encrypted. So am I **** out of luck? Can I restore the computer with that backup, or would I need the password for that?
Yeah... you are sunk. Any kind of restore or migration at all from that disk will require the password to unlock it. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.