Help! with Toast error arggh.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFlanker, Apr 26, 2006.

1. MacFlanker macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    Have my new MBP, never owned a DVD burner before so I was pretty excited, but when I went to make backups of my DVD's I have been getting an error in toast when it doing the "write in" saying...

The device reported an error
    Sense key=MEDIUM ERROR
    Sense Code=0x73,0x03

I using MTR to Toast using the whole folder created my MTR in DVD from Video TS file in Toast.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  2. motulist macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    Check that what you are trying to burn does not exceed 4.7 gig.
  3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    I agree with the above. Plus -------
    Often, the route through to burning DVDs on Macs is:
    Mac The Ripper (as you are doing)
    DVD2oneX (to compress large DVDs onto <=4.7GB)

When burning with Toast, what I do is to select the Data option (NOT video) and the DVD-ROM(UDF) option. Drag your whole ripped DVD folder into Toast and ----- burn! :)
  4. MacFlanker thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    awesome guys, I will try it and get back to you.

much much appreciated.
  5. motulist macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    And if you only want to be able to watch these burned videos on a computer and not on most dvd players then you can do it all in one step just using the program handbrake.
  6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Just to add one last bit...if you have Toast 7 then you won't need DVD2oneX as the Popcorn feature is built into Toast 7 to compress the video file(s) you need. If you do go the DTOX (DVD20neX) way set the output for 4.3GB to keep the info away from the outside edge of the DVD. That helps if the dye used on the bottom of the DVD is by some way bad, this has happened only a few times to me but not worth making a coaster if you don't need to ;)
  7. MacFlanker thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    I added the DVD2oneX step and it worked thanks!

For some reason when I bypass that step and go straight to Toast and let it compress I get the above error. Stange. Wish I could go straight to Toast. I did the update to 7.02 , Ill see if that works.

Thanks for all the tips, Ill make sure DVD2oneX is set for only 4.3G.