Help with trash.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by menoinjun, Jul 9, 2002.

1. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Hey all.

I need some help emptying my trash. I am getting this message when I try it: <see below>

Any ideas? Holding down control or option doesn't do it, and I don't know enough unix to really feel safe messing with anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Pete

Attached Files:

2. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

the one thing that sucks with OS X, privileges... I belive you have to delete the file from the terminal. Enable root, go into the .Trashes folder with the terminal and rm -f the file!

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Have you tried only having one item in the trash can when you go to empty it?? Sometimes you need to delete just a few things at a time, depending on the permissions and such. You shouldn't need to get into the terminal and d*ck around with things there.

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

there are also some utilities on versiontracker that will allow you to bypass that message. Its just a permissions issue.

www.versiontracker.com

good times;

C-

5. ponyboy macrumors regular

I have before been able to apple i and change the priviliges of an individual item, then delete it but sometimes not. You can always boot into classic and do it in 9

6. menoinjun thread starter macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Ahh!!

Booting in classic! I forgot about that trick. Thanks everyone for the help.

About me using the terminal...I enabled the root user, and went to the trash directory, but there was nothing in there from the terminal which I thought was odd. I didn't want to mess with anything, so I posted here.

Thanks!

-Pete

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i get that a lot, especially when I put in files recently downloaded from IE and it gives me the 'file in use' message.. :rolleyes:

does 10.2 fix these sorts of things?