Help With UK Universities

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey guys,
    Here is my situation, I am finishing up my UCAS and I am done selecting which 6 universities I want to attended. I am not a very good student, I take the IB program and I am projected to get 24 points(the passing grade). However I do have some perks. I am Italian/American, live in spain, grew up in NYC and I am fluent in English, Italian, Spanish. I heard that unis love the whole international student thing. I am also the captain for the varsity basketball team. All this along with a good personal statement I am told I can get into schools with a slightly higher IB point requirement. I dont know much about the UK and I dont know all that much about some of these schools, so I would like opinions from you guys, about anything. Quality of the school, how cool is the city, student life and if you believe I can get in or not. I know a lot of you guys are from the UK so I guess im just looking for opinions.

I applied to the following 6 university for business managment and finance courses:

1. University Institute Wales, Cardiff---28 points
    2. Westminster University---------------26 points
    3. Portsmouth University----------------28 points
    4. Greenwich University-----------------25 points
    5. Liverpool Hope University------------24 points
    6. Middlesex University------------------24/25 points

Any info or opinions are welcome.

2. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

If you want to be right in the centre of a big city, then Westminster.

Liverpool can be cold and dark in winter which may affect you more as you are from italy/spain.

The others are all in slightly smaller cities.

Cardiff is near nice countryside if you like to escape the city.

Portsmouth is on the sea, lots of sailing round there if you are a water activities type person.

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I study Computer Science at Westminster, at the harrow campus. There are 4 campuses so make sure you pick the correct one as some offer the same courses.

4. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Business is at the harrow campus aswell, do you have any general opinions about the university, academically aswell and social life?

5. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Yeah its nice, friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

"Most" of the teaching is good, all depends on who you get. Most of them really no there stuff.

Social life is what you want it to be. Some people just come to Uni to learn then go off home, and others skip the learning and go straight to the bar.

Im in my second year and I really like. I have friends that do business and they seem to be enjoying it to, lots of database work mind.

6. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Westminster and Greenwich both have very good reputations. Portsmouth is becoming increasingly well thought of since it gained university status, and has always been good for engineering and technical subjects.
    From a purely practical point of view, Liverpool is a good few hours away from London and the South coast, so travelling will be more time-consuming and costly from Spain. Portsmouth has the advantages of a ferry connection to Spain (Bilbao), and Southampton airport is only a few miles outside Portsmouth. Heathrow and Gatwick are further from London, both about 30-40 minutes by train.
    Finally, London is an expensive place for a student to live (from the experience of 3 of my family, Southampton and Winchester accomodation costs about £300/month, compared to £400+ in London).

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Oh right if you are gonna be at the harrow campus, I go past that every now and then to the Northwick park hospital, and it's pretty far out from central london.

Seems it would suit the quieter type of guy. Some nice fields around the campus, but apart from that it looks peaceful. (some would say 'dead' - there aren;t many bars or clubs or restaurants round there.)

If you like your bustle and city life and nightlife then UCL would be better. Maybe City University would be easier to get into, tho I don't know much about that. Or Queen Mary College.

8. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Harrow itself has a few (5-10) bars and clubs and is a busy shopping area with a lot of shops. Thats 10mins walk from the campus.

I take your point that it isnt as "lively" as a campus in central london.

9. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I have a very good friend who goes to Portsmouth University and loves it. Apparently the social life is great.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd recommend Cardiff or Portsmouth, simply for the reasons that I don't like big cities. If anything I find the relaxing nature of quieter places helps with the stress of university especially if you're one of them people who puts more effort into getting the grades than going for the party life etc.

Don't underestimate that. There's a university in/near Staffordshire called Keele and apparently it's notorious for high suicide rates because it's all enclosed, all hectic, like a little squashed together town (reminds me of a mini city in a way). The mind needs to study but also rest.

11. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Great info so far guys I really appreciate it. . . Where do you study if you dont mind me asking jimmi?