Help With USB Hub please..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 2nyRiggz, Sep 5, 2005.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Hi Everyone,
    I just bought a Targus 7 port USB hub (powered with AC Adaptor)for my ibook 1.2GHz but i keep getting a message telling me that it does not have enough juice....what is up with that? i am trying to plug my ipod and 512mb shuffle(not at the same time) to upload songs and what have you. My LaCie hard drive is working great with it.....i do not understand whats going on, help me please

Thanks

2. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

the HD has it's own power source and does not use power over USB. The ipods do and likely your hub does not provide enough power. This is common, from my understanding. Looks like you still have to give them a direct connection to your system.

Sorry mate.

3. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Powered USB?

i thought by the USB port being powered seen that it has it own AC adaptor that it would have enough power to juice up these things. the USB wont even power up my keyboard...this sux man

4. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

The best thing to do is to get another hub that does work. The hub will work perfectly on a PC but not on your Mac as it is.

You could try replacing the PSU with one with an higher mA rating, an example of this would be if its a 9v 500mA then try a 9v 600mA power supply. I don't know if this will fix the problem, it will depend on the circuit in the hub.

I had this problem and I solved it on my PowerPC, by plugging it into another hub.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Some hubs have a switch to change between Bus and Self powered modes. Is yours set to Bus? If so, notwithstanding you have the AC adaptor plugged in, it's still draqing power from the Mac.

6. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

nope no switch

its a targus USB 2.0 7 port USB hub...i feel like throwing this $47.00 junk out the window now. On the package it said it will work with Macs now its playing the fool with me....the lights on the hub is lovely though :)

7. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Also make sure that it is set to the right voltage (if there is a definer).