Help with Video: WMV3 Codec

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

I'm trying to play a video, but it's encoded with the WMV3 Codec. I can get audio when I play it with VLC, but no video. I know that the file works as I can play it with WMP via VPC (but I get no audio as that's as mp4a, and it looks really bad due to the 16MB graphics).

I've tried MPlayer, Quicktime, WMP (Mac) VLC. Can anyone show me something that will work?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The best solution for WMV playback on OS X is now the Flip4Mac WMV component for QuickTime. It's linked off Microsoft's Mac site and for playback it's free. Give that a shot.

3. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

That doesn't work, I've already got that (it is up to date). Anyother ideas?

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I have read several times that the WMV3 Codec cannot be played on a Mac. But the hack mentioned in the link above seems worth a try if you are desperate.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That has changed now, though, with the recent updates to Flip4Mac. I found it surprising not even that would work for the OP, but in most cases it should. In this case though I don't know what advice to offer if Flip4Mac won't work...

6. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I did what that linked said, and it work. The Audio was way out though, so it's now very useful. The program it links to is great though D-Vison 3. I pulled out the sound as an MP3, which i good, and now it can re encode it as something else that will work with WMP. Once I do that I should be able to put the video and audio together so that it's one file. I'll let you know it it works.

7. Kimi thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried everything I can (which isn't really that much as I'm not good a video stuff) and I can't get it working. Can someone tell me how I can convert the file to something I can play on my Mac by using a windows computer?

8. iGrog macrumors newbie

iGrog

i faced the same problem with a couple of my Windows videos that didn't work.. i tried it with Flip4Mac, VLC, QT and QT pro, Mplayer..

However, change the extension of the files from .mpg or .mpeg to .asf, and it will work fine hopefully..

i did it, and it worked fine with me and even played in full quality in QT..

we ARE talking about WMV3 encoded MPEG clips.. or is it avi's? because if it's avi's, didn't face that problem yet..

hopefully this ends this delimma..

:apple: