Help with Wake On LAN

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brian.leveille, Mar 17, 2007.

1. brian.leveille macrumors newbie

All,

I have a g4 MDD that I have set up to Wake on LAN. I
    have another computer (ibook) setup to send the Wake
    on LAN magic packet. This works fine and the MDD
    awakens from sleep after sending the packet.
    However, in about 10 or 15 seconds the MDD goes back
    to sleep again. Why?

More background info:

I did another test where rather than sending the WOL packet over the network, I walked up to the sleeping MDD and hit the spacebar. It awoke, then went back to sleep about 15-30 seconds later. I hit the spacebar a second time and then started to use the computer (Logged in, read a few posts in the Macrumors forum, etc) and the computer remained awake.

So I guess my more directed question is: why does the MDD go back to sleep when there is no input/usage?

Thanks again,

-BL

2. vlumi macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem with my Mac Pro (10.4.9). I've set automatic sleep off and so that it requires the password when waking up. It seems that it's the authentication for unlocking that triggers the re-sleep, and I haven't found any way to remotely make that work - not flooding multiple wake-on-lan packets, ssh connections (and keeping them alive), mounting an SMB-share...

As a workaround, I've noticed that if I switch to login screen before putting my mac to sleep, it doesn't go to sleep again when I wake it up remotely. However, it doesn't go to sleep at all, and I can't get it to go to sleep remotely. Telling the "System Events" to sleep by AppleScript doesn't work when the login screen is active. The same script works fine if I'm fully logged in - even over ssh, as long as the login screen isn't there...

I can live with my mac waking up until I get to it again locally, but it would be nice to be able to put it to sleep again remotely. Anyone happen to have a working hack to this?