Help with windows sharing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by xcalibur, Mar 7, 2004.

1. xcalibur macrumors member

What's the best way to enable read only access to my files on all my files on my mac for windows sharing? Meaning all users connecting to my mac can only copy files? I'd rather not use the public folder as I want to share all my files. Thanks!

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I take it that you already have the network on place and just want to know how to share your hard disk. Here is a fairly simple way.
    On your mac, open terminal.
    write 'cd /etc' with out the ''. press enter
    then write 'emacs smb.conf' press enter
    you will see a bunch of stuff...scroll down by the arrow key. you will see
    [global]
    some stuff

[homes]
    some stuff

After homes and its stuff paste the following
    #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # hard disk
    #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Hard disk]
    comment = "Hard disk"
    path = /Volumes/name of your hard disk
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    create mask = 644
    directory mask = 755

you are done,Now save the changes - hold ctrl down, press x, release x, press s.
    NOw exit - hold ctrl down, press x, release x,press c.

SO what you did above, was to make your drive as share, just as the default public folder.NOw just make another account, and when you log on to this account from windows or other systems, you would have read only access to your drive

hope it helps
    cheers

3. xcalibur thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply. One question though, when i log on using another account wouldn't I be given access to /username only and not the root of my hard disk?

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

normally yes..but when you make changes as I wrote earlier, in the smb.conf file, it would make your hard drive a share. So now from other account, if you click harddrive. , it would show your original username, click and you would go in..
    And yes, when you write 'emacs smb.conf' you should actually write 'sudo emacs smb.conf' and it will ask your password, type it in.
    This is necessary because if you dont, then it wont allow you to write anything on smb.conf as it is a readonly file for everyone except root.
    cheers

5. xcalibur thread starter macrumors member

alright..thanks so much for your help...you've been really helpful..i'll give it a try later..