Help with Windows Vista and VirtualBox

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RedCroissant, Nov 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

I got my hands on Windows Vista Ultimate and was trying to get it set up in VirtualBox, but I am running into some problems. It really lags even if I assign 128MB video memory to it and either 2 or 4 GB of RAM. Is there someone out there that can tell me what the proper settings are? Thanks for your time.

2. macrumors 65816

What are your compter specs?

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

2009 20" iMac 2.66GHz, C2D 8GB RAM 256 MB video memory via NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 3TB HDD running OS X 10.7.4. I currently have Windows XP, Ubuntu 12.04, and Linux Mint 12 loaded and running normally through VB and for some reason I just can't figure out how to make Vista run properly.

4. macrumors 6502a

There is something no correct in your VirtualBox settings as I am running both a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 VM each with only 1 GB of RAM...check your settings as the default settings are usual fairly good.

I would also install the VirtualBox Guest Additions as this adds enhanced capabilities that may speed things up.

Joel

5. macrumors 65816

Try using the same settings used for the XP VM.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

Here's an update... Apparently, 32-bit Vista like XP doesn't seem to like 4 GB of RAM and that was one of the problems. I installed the Guest additions again, updated and updated and updated, and now it seems to be operating normally and it's nice.

7. macrumors 6502a

That is because 32-bit versions of Windows can only address a maximum of 3 GB of RAM (and possibly less).

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

See, I thought that too, but then when I assigned 4GB to the VM, Vista was telling me that it could only see 3.5. What I will probably do is delete the VM and set up the 64-bit version and see how that goes.

9. macrumors 65816

Interesting…
    I have Vista on a Dell tower with 4 GB of RAM. When I installed it it told me I had 3.something GB (I can't remember). After Service Pack 1 (I think) it said that I have 4 GB of RAM. Maybe this can be similar to what you have?

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

Well, since I did update it, maybe that fixed the problem as well. I have adjusted the settings and will let you know what happens.

Update: I changed the settings to give Vista 4GB of RAM after updating to service pack 1 and it still only recognizes 3.5GB. SO, I'm going to just set it at 3GB and be done with it.

11. AnonMac50, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

macrumors 65816

Might have been SP2 then.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

It is service pack 2, and even though I really like the GUI of Vista, I'm not too satisfied with its performance. I know, I know.... but I remember getting a laptop while I was still in the military to take on deployment that only had 1 GB of RAM that worked very well and was very happy with(and this is before the service packs were released). Is there anything like XSlimmer for Vista that's free?

And another thing, I downloaded the and installed the extension pack and the updated drivers for VirtualBox, but Windows media center looks like s***. icons are blurry, and it doesn't even work. Then once I close the program, a dialog box pops up to tell me that it's not working properly because it's only recognizing the 128MB of VRAM I assigned and only recognizing 64MB.

13. macrumors 68020

That's correct. 32 bit is single threaded and can only address 3.5gb. You'll never get it to address more. If you want more, need 64 bit.

But dude, Vista is a dog with fleas. Find a copy of Win7.

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

RedCroissant

Well I do have the 64-bit version so maybe I'll try installing that one instead.

I would prefer a copy of Windows 7, but at the time that I got Vista as a trade for a 4 year old WD external usb 2.0 hard drive, Windows 7 was too expensive. I am relying solely on trades to acquire things. And as of right now, the only things I have left to trade are either Russian or 49ers collectables.