Help with wireless setup...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Samberino, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Samberino macrumors newbie

May 27, 2004
    Hi All,

I need some help with setting up wireless internet at my brother-in-law's apartment.

So he's got broadband DSL, and is using a US Robotics DSL modem (USB). As he wanted a wireless setup, he bought a Belkin Wireless Router (btw, at this point I should probably tell you, he has a PC at home), and when he opened it, found out that its got a network port on it. So to add to that, he bought a network interface card for his PC, to connect his wireless router to since he didn't have a network port/card on his machine. The end result is:
    - DSL Modem connected to PC (via USB)
    - Wireless Router connected to PC (via network port)
    So in theory this should work, as his PC, has broadband, and has a wireless router connected to it, yet it doesn't.

What am I doing wrong? any suggestions?

Your advice and help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    You're going to have to give a lot more info than that if you want help.
  3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

Jul 2, 2003
    New York
    is the pc setup to share its internet connections?

just go through the windows network setup wizard, and tell it that other computers connect to the internet through that one, and in theory, it will work.

of course i say in theory, because nothing ever works like it's supposed to on windows.
  4. Soverc macrumors member

Oct 7, 2005
    First off contact the DSL provider and have them swap out the USB DSL modem for an ethernet one.

You can go into network properties and share the 2 adapters until you have the ethernet modem.
  5. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2005

Here is the answer to your in law's problem:p

Tell him to GET A Mac!!!! LOL LOL LOL :p :p :p
  6. Samberino thread starter macrumors newbie

May 27, 2004
    Just wanted to thank you all for the help (better late than never). My brother in-law realised he had done something wrong with the setup, but unfortunately realised it a bit too late as by then he already picked up a DSL Wireless router/modem, and now has wifi setup at home.