Help with WMV!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I have a Macbook. I usually use VLC Player to play any avi or wmv files I download but some wmv files don't work. Someone recommended to me that I download Windows Media Player 9 to see if I can get those videos to play. I tried to download WMP9 installer which is .bin but for whatever reason when I click on the .bin on my desktop it opens in the VLC player for whatever reason. Yes the installer (.bin) opens in VLC player. Help me please!!!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The MacOS X port of VLC does not play WMV 9 content. Windows Media Player 9 is reported to work in Rosetta. However, it is no longer supported by Microsoft. For PPC-based Macs, Microsoft recommends Flip4Mac. There is a closed-beta UB version of Flip4Mac if you can find it. The PopWire WMV-9 Component QuickTime codec is UB its release version.

3. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

when I try to download WMP9 from the microsoft site it downloads to my desktop as .bin file. When I click on the .bin the installer opens in the VLC player for whatever reason.

is there anyway to get WMP9 support? is it possible for example to view a video from thatvideosite.com on a mac?

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Flip4Mac is in a limited beta test right now of their Universal WMV plugin for Quicktime. Try searching around for it. You can find it if you look hard enough. And yes, thatvideosite.com works fine when you have it installed. ;)

Attached Files:

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Um, yes? MisterMe's post right before you asked says that PopWire has a free Quicktime component that runs on Intel Macs and supports WMV9.

It doesn't do video embedded in a web page (you'll have to wait a little bit for Flip4Mac to get out of beta for that), but for example on the site you mentioned if you click the "Download this video" link, the videos play just fine in QT player using the PopWire component.

And the crusty WMP download from Microsoft's site needs Stuffix Expander to decompress:
    http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/download.html

I dont' recommend bothering with it--I don't think it plays anything that you can't play between PopWire and VLC anyway.

Either that, or just be a little teeny bit patient and the Flip4Mac codec will be out of beta and you're good to go on just about everything that isn't DRM'd.