Help with Word!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JCorn2, Apr 17, 2005.

1. JCorn2 macrumors member

Hey everybody...
    In writing a history essay, my spelling and grammer lines underneath mis-spelled words and erroneous sentances magically disappeared! I need my red and green lines back! If anybody can help out, I am running Word 2004 on a PB g4. Thanks so much!

joe

2. Greencardman macrumors 6502

try turning them on and off again. If its the same on a PC, then its under the tools---options--- spelling and grammar tab. You can turn on and off whether you want word to underline your grammar and spelling mistakes. You may have hit a hot key accidentially. Try turning them back on, or turning them on and off. And don't forget, you can always spellcheck at anytime.

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

preference

Go to the preferences. You will see a spelling and grammar preference. Go there you will see different options, choose what you need. Also there is a "Check Document" button at the bottom you can click on this to recheck your document. I have 2004 version BTW.

Nuc

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Greencardman beat me to it.... But you may want to use the "check document." I believe this resets things that you chose to ignore when you previously spell checked your document...

Nuc

5. Greencardman macrumors 6502

6. JCorn2 thread starter macrumors member

I tried all of the above and now whenever I mis-spell a word nothing happens.... I am stuck!

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Under preferences, is "hide spelling errors in this document" checked? If so, uncheck it.

8. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

?

Before we go any further than this do you (this is what I have checked):

Have the "check spelling as you type" checked
    Have the "Always suggest corrections" checked
    Have the "check grammar as you type" checked
    Have the "check grammar with spelling" checked

other possibilities:
    1. Also try closing the program and opening a new blank document. Type some words some misspelled and some correct. Does this give you the red and green lines?

2. Go to the tools a do a spell/grammar check. After completing go to the spelling and grammar preference and you will see "recheck document" button near the bottom hit that.

Other than that repair permissions. Restart. Possibly delete your word preferences?

Or reinstall word. But I wouldn't resort to doing the reinstall unless you have to. But if you do uninstall Office using Office 2004 unistall. Then reinstall. Repair permissions and then go from there.....

Anyone else have suggestions or something to add...??

Nuc

9. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Sounds like a sound strategic plan to me :) Although I might add in margaritas, some Jimmy Buffet or a sacrificial offering of gummy bears at various points and intervals.

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Isn't Word just a lovely simple essay writing tool!
    Don't like it much, but whaddya gonna do?