Help! Won't Eject and Won't BOOT

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iJUNKY, Aug 7, 2006.

1. iJUNKY macrumors member

ok, messed up my MBP again!

Do not know really what i did, but i'm desparate for help. This is the course of events:

I put DVD-R into drive (do not know what is on it, thats why i put it in, to check it out, it can only be movie files or data - but most prob a movie i burnt).

It whirrs up, and down, and up and down. Maybe a dozen times, DVD icon Does NOT appear on Finder.

I press the eject button (DVD is still whirring up and down), and nothing happens.

The next part is a bit hazy: i can't remember if I turned it off by pressing the off button because it wouldn't shut down normally (i.e. it crashed), or if it restarted itself.

Anyway I turn it back on and the grey screen comes up and just hangs, while the disk whirrs up and down continuously.

Pressing the eject button has no effect, and i can't boot in safe mode, i try but the grey screen just hangs.

Pleasssssssssssse somebody help!!

thanx in advance

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

turn off mbp, turn on again while holding down mouse button and see if cd ejects.

3. iJUNKY thread starter macrumors member

nope, afraid not...

its like, the mbp starts reading the disk as soon as it starts up, and then the whole machine just freezes, while it tries to read the disk.

i can hear the disk starting up again and again, but the screen just stays grey.

4. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

did you hold down the mouse button as you press the power button on the mbp and did u keep the key depressed as it powers up? The DVD should eject or else i think you'll have to bring it to someone to take a look.

5. iJUNKY thread starter macrumors member

yeah, just tried it again, kept mouse button down as i pressed the power button, and kept the mouse button pressed for a couple of mins. just grey and whiring noises.

i'm getting tired, i'll try and sleep,

cheers for the help so far, keep the suggestions coming.

if all else fails we can whip the horses eye and i can call apple 2moro.

woe is me :( :( :( :(

6. iJUNKY thread starter macrumors member

PANIC OVER!!! :) :)

Not sure if you caould really call this a "fix", but this is how i made it work again.

Read in another thread that if you close the MBP over when you turn it on and leave it whirring and at a grey screen for a while (30mins) that the cd should be spat out.

I returned, opened MBP to see the progress bar ... eh progressing (maybe tis would have happened anyway without closing the lid).

It booted up normally, but CD icon still wasn't on finder, and cd was still whirring up and down.

I was messing around in the terminal, and opened up Disk Utility, when after about 10 mins of constantly trying to read the DVD, it spat it out voluntarily with the msg "Unable to read Disk" - well duh! :rolleyes:

thanks for the help tipdrill407