Help writing letter to teachers..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Jul 31, 2006.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

About 6 months ago, I decided to get my Real Estate license and have been selling real estate as a profession since. I am doing alright (well enough to support myself anyways) and have become comfortable enough in the practice to begin working with multiple serious clients simultaneously. In other words, I am ready to start mailing out flyers to everyone I know, going door-to-door now and then, etc.

Yesterday, I had the idea to write a letter and mail it to all of the teachers I had in Jr. High and High School (and maybe even some Elementary teachers I had as well). Sort of like a "thank you", "look what I'm doing with my life", "please let me know if anyone you know is looking to buy or sell", "sorry I was such a pain in the ass ;) " type of letter.

Well, I was never too good at writing anything but short stories. I mean, I know the format of a letter and I can present myself very well when I need to (which is more and more these days), but I want a little advice on what to write to really let them know the following:

1) that I owe much of the success I've had thus far to them for helping me become what/who I am today.

2) that I am looking for as many prospects as I can find, and would like them to help me get my name out in the community (3-5 business cards will be included in each envelope).

3) that I am good at what I do and would love the opportunity to prove it.

4) anything else you think is a good idea to include.

Number 3 is difficult, I know, because proving I am good at what I do will take more than facts and figures, and I don't want to sound cocky or anything in the letter. In school, I always heard that I'd do so well "if only would apply myself". Well, I'm applying myself now, and they were right, but I'd like them to see that, and give me the chance to do even better by sending prospects my way and letting me help them make one of the most important decisions of their lives.

Any advice you can give me would be excellent. Thanks! :)

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Honestly? The business cards are enough.

Teachers like getting thank you notes, but nobody likes being sold. Say thank you, say look what I'm doing now, include the buisness cards -- your teachers will get it, and, if you're lucky, they'll hand the cards out to their in the market friends.

If I got a letter from a former student explicitly asking me to help them drum up buisness, I'd be really turned off. If I got a thank you note that included business cards, I'd keep one for myself and probably pass the rest out.

Everyone likes to help, no one likes to be used. Which isn't saying that your approach is using others, but is saying it may leave others feeling like they've been used.

3. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

^ I agree. As a teacher, I enjoy getting cards from previous students. However, If I got a letter like the one you were sending out, I would see it as as "being used" instead of being "thanked".

A nice letter with cards would be fine. Just don't ask them to send business your way.

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Maybe you're right. I never really thought of it like that. Of course I'm not out to "use" anybody, but I can see why you think they may feel that way. I was just going to send business cards, but I wanted to be more personal than that. This is why I'm asking for help, so thanks! :)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Right. I see where you are coming from.

What exactly can I do to ensure that they don't feel used? Obviously not ask them to send business my way, but more specifically? Now that I'm thinking about it, it kind of seems like they may feel used regardless.

6. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

Not really. Teachers love getting letters from previous students. We love hearing about your successes. We get very little thanks, and a letter often makes us feel like we made a difference. So send the letters and include your business card. As a teacher, I would think, "Hey, great he is a realtor." Then, if and when I know someone that is thinking of buying, I would send them your way. Often, your business card might even be posted on a bulletin board in the teacher's lounge.

My point was, don't make it sound like a business letter, but a "Hey thanks for all you did. I couldn't be happier." friendly letter.

Also, if you are going to send a letter to several teachers at the same site, make the letters personal and not a form letter. Teachers share letters :).

Another good idea might be to volunteer for a career day. That would put you out in the open for teachers and parents. That would make many teachers very proud. Include your willingness in the letter.

Just my two cents.

7. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I appreciate the input very much. :)

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

I'm a teacher also, and I'd like reinforce the fact that everything dbhays has said is dead-on accurate. Especially the part about teachers sharing letters. if you send out a form letter, it will get around, and will pretty much cancel out any goodwill you're trying to generate.

I'd go even a step further and say that you're better off only writing to a handful of teachers, maybe those you were closest to or had the best relationship with. Sending letters to the entire staff at the same time will certainly be seen as more than a coincidence. Again, word will get around.

9. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I didn't plan on writing a single letter a copying it, nor did I plan on writing to teachers that I didn't know well. Thanks for making a point that I don't do that, though. That'd be a big mistake. :)

10. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

One more thing. If you are sending a letter to a teacher that you have not seen in many years, include a picture. We often remember faces, but not names.