Help... Xbox Live trouble (networking)

Discussion in 'Games' started by trivial, Jan 30, 2006.

1. trivial macrumors newbie

Here is my situation. I have a Motorola Surfboard II cable modem running to an Apple airport express for all my wireless needs. I have recently purchased an XBox 360 and enjoy playing on live. My Cable modem is right next to my XBox so I don't want to buy the "wireless adapter" or unplug my Airport Express evertime I want to use it.

I figure that it would be a simple solution... so I go out and buy an ethernet hub... so now my setup goes Modem->Hub-> airport express and 360. You would think that would work, however it does not. I have to unplug the modem to let it reset for whatever I want to use.

For example, if I want to play on Live, I must unplug my airport express, then unplug my modem to let it reset... and then I can sign in no problem. If I want to use the internet... I have to turn off the xbox, unplug the modem again to let it reset and then I can use the computer. I cannot play on Live agian until the process is repeated.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

-Matt

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Did you buy a HUB, or a ROUTER? This is an important question. Here's why:

When you plug a device (computer, Xbox, etc.) straight into a cable modem, the cable modem usually looks at the MAC address of that device's network adapter and will then communicate ONLY with that particular MAC address. For example, when you connect your computer to the cable modem, the cable modem then only wants to talk to the computer. If you switch devices (e.g., unplug computer and then plug in Xbox 360), the cable modem won't recognize the new MAC address unless you RESTART the cable modem. (Basically, it works on the principle of "whichever MAC address I see first when I start up is the only one I'll recognize... at least, until such time as I am restarted again".)

Follow me so far? If so, then the problem here is that a HUB does NOT provide a MAC address... hubs are "stupid" devices that just provide Ethernet connectivity. So, if you are using a hub, then the cable modem is STILL only going to talk to ONE of your two devices.

A ROUTER, on the other hand, has its OWN MAC address... so if you use a router, the cable modem will talk to the router... and the router will talk to as many devices as you have.

So: Did you buy a HUB, or a ROUTER? If you bought a hub, take it back and get a router. It'll cost more, but it'll do what you need.

If you already have a router, let us know. :)

3. trivial thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I have a HUB (tried a Switch too)... the only reason that I was avoiding the router is becuase then I will be running 2 routers (the airport express and whatever one I choose to get). I did not know if that would give me a whole new set of problems to deal with.

Would I then need to open up the same ports on both of them for bit torrent use? (don't worry, it is all legal). I am beginning to think that I may be better off buying the "wireless gaming adapter" for my needs.

At any rate... thanks again for your help.

-Matt