HELP! Xbox Wireless Adapter and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thomas S, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Thomas S macrumors member

The adapter connected to the AE just fine. It got the password and all. The connection was there. It just won't connect to XBL. Why?!?

It says something about the IP not confirmed? Help!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Did you forward the correct ports? I don't have an Xbox, but you need to forward port 3074 or something to get it to work. It should be in your manual.

3. Thomas S thread starter macrumors member

Forward the port on...

The Xbox unit, or the computer?

Can I do it from Airport Admin?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not sure how to do it on an airport, but if you search it may be on this site. If not, I'm sure its on the net somewhere.

You have to open up a port on the router and send that traffic to the xbox.

5. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

I've got an xbox plugged into my AE, and I've not had to do any port-forwarding to make it work.

Did you set anything in the 'Access Control' part of your AE admin setup? If you've tried to do mac filtering etc, you'll need to add the xbox wireless controller to that. (Without it, it may well get a connection, but not be given an IP etc)

6. Thomas S thread starter macrumors member

Ok, the AE is my router. The Cable modem is plugged into it.

So I decided to purchase the XBL wireless adapter so I could play it on a screen that wasn't so damn huge (from 92" to 27").

Plug it in, and everything connected. It sees the router, and connected to it. Very good connection quality (it states it like that).

So I am ecstatic. Yeah! I throw in Halo 2 to play and it won't connect. Go to the so-called troubleshooter.

This is the newest error message:

"No DNS server addresses were received from the DHCP or PPPoE server. (Insert MS website (no help)crap here)."

The Connect status screen has a bunch of "check marks."

Cables Connected - Check
    IP not confirmed
    DNS not resolved
    XBL not found

I'm using Comcast HSI. Anything else needed?

Here is the xbox.com page on Comcast:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/comcast.htm

Apparently I might need to do something else...

7. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Ok - sounds like the XB isn't getting an IP address.
    Is the AE new too, or have you been using it with the cable modem for something else? It just sounds like DHCP isn't turned on one of those fellas to me.

8. Thomas S thread starter macrumors member

I've been using it for months with the HSI. What do you think I should do to solve this problem?

Edit: Are there ports I have to open?

9. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

If you didn't do anything out of the ordinary when you setup the AE, I'd expect it to be running DHCP.

If you use the Airport Admin utility, select your airport and then click on the 'Network' section you should see the 'Distribute IP address' box ticked. If it is, then the AE is running DHCP.

If that's the case, then click on the 'Access Control' section, and that should be empty (if it isn't then this would be the problem).

If the above two points are ok (DHCP is on and Access Control is empty), then I'm a bit stumped as to why the XB-Wifi is connecting, but not passing an IP address to the Xbox. I've never used one before, but I'd expect it should make itself transparent to the network in most respects.

If the AE is not distributing IP addresses, I think you'll need to turn that on, as looking at the comcast info, I doubt the cable modem is doing DHCP.

10. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

At the moment, your xbox isn't getting an IP address, so there's no messages to get blocked by closed ports.
    The AE doesn't have a firewall, and without being sure, I doubt the cable modem does either. So there should be no ports that need to be opened or forwarded. (I've never had to for my xbox live with halo 2 or anything else)

11. Thomas S thread starter macrumors member

It's running DHCP.

It's distributing the IP addresses.

Access control is empty.

Geez, this is stumping me. Just setting up the G5 was SO much easier....

12. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

you running any wireless security on the express? just wonder if that's compatible with the xb wifi - i.e. they can chat, but the AE won't let the XBW on the network?

13. Ledshell macrumors newbie

Ledshell

Reset

I have a Wireless Adapter hooked up to my Airport Basestation, and I vaguely recall reseting the cable modem when I added the M$ adapter. I suppose you've already tried this, but if not, it might help. Good luck! - j

ps. I do remember having to select an available port connection when connecting my PC to the basestation as well - I think the Xbox adapter needed that too. The reason you are getting an assigned IP and good connection meter is because the Adapter can communicate with the basestation - but perhaps not outside of that.

14. Thomas S thread starter macrumors member

tzibo - I cannot thank you enough. Thanks to you, it is fixed. Thanks!

Played a few games, with a tad bit of lag. Turned AirPort off on my G5 and lag begone! Sweet!

15. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

16. themrpotato macrumors newbie

hey uhh..im kinda havin the same problem and i was wondering if sombody could kinda message me and help me out..thx.:)