help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sublime2681, May 20, 2005.

1. Sublime2681 macrumors newbie

Ok i just got my mac mini and i need some help. I got it all set up and i went to download some stuff like aim and gimpshop and so they are all down and when i go to open the setup thing it opens in excle. I know i have to open it with something else but i don't know what help!!

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Are you downloading the Mac Versions? And why would you download AIM? YOu can just use iChat.

kyle

3. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Because iChat doesn't do fonts, colors, or profiles. You can get profiles but you need to download another program... not too efficient.

4. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

If your Mac Mini Came with Tiger...

Make sure you download StuffIt Expander; it is no longer a part of The Mac OS. I've read that Tiger handles .sit files natively, but I have not seen the feature because I downloaded the Tiger-updated StuffIt expander app even before I installed Tiger. Hope that helps!

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

What do you mean it doesn't do fonts?
    And you've already just downloaded another program! :p

Attached Files:

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, you've already figured out profiles (what are profiles, anyway?,) and fonts and colors are easy: In iChat, go to the 'Format' menu, and select 'Show Fonts' (or just hit Command-T.) For colors, 'Format' -> 'Show Colors'. (Or Command-Shift-C.)

I find iChat WAAAAAAY better than AIM on the Mac. And if you want multiple IM protocols, try either Fire or Adium. Not as elegant as iChat, but still better than AIM, MSN-IM, or Yahoo-IM.

7. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

:confused: I thought I responded to this... but I don't know what happened.

Anyway, ichat does do fonts, but if you're chatting with someone who doesn't have ichat, they can't see your choice of font and color.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

AIM for Mac is kinda shoddy, try adiumx.com its a great chat client

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Oh NO! Also you can override theirs in iChat.
    I'm sorry, but that is possibly the pettiest "problem" with any app I have ever heard! And also , i think you may be wrong!

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Why don't you use Adium? Considering you can't use video/voice on the Mac client of AIM you wouldn't lose any features. Adium is highly customizable and pretty easy to use, check it out :)

In iChat or Adium the other user CAN see your color selection, and yes that is a very "petty" problem. The Mac AIM client flat out STINKS!

Ed

11. Sublime2681 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys that helps but does anyone know of one that os a free one forever? That might be to much to ask for.

12. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Sounds like you need to download Stuffit Expander.

13. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

I don't think I ever said it was a problem, just that I like to use AIM rather than ichat. How do you change the prefs in ichat to show the fonts and have profiles viewable to other IM clients? I've been trying to figure that out for a while.