help!

Discussion in 'Community' started by funkywhat2, Oct 26, 2002.

1. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I donb't know if any of you konw how to use Linux, but I am having a slight problem and if you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Just a little while ago, I installed Mandrake 9, and the first thing I did was go online and try to download AIM for Linux. It came packaged as an RPM, so I naturally opened to Terminal and attemped to install it. I typed "su" and it asked for my password, which I then entered. It told me the password was incorrect, so I just logged out of GNOME and into KDE, thinking that it may help. When I had the same error I logged out and tried to log in as root in the login screen, only to have my logon fail. Does anyone have a fix for this, or have I lost four gigs of my drive (Windows won't read it.)

2. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I fixed the problem.:)
    Maybe someone would like to close it, maybe not:)

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

What was wrong? That problem sounded very serious about 5 minutes ago. Now it isn't seeming so serious... :D

4. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

i forgot my root password, so i couldn't install anything. an os is useless if you can't do anythting with it, no?

well, in my copious(?) wisdom, i was using the wrong password. generally, i use the same p/w for everything that i dont realy care about (i.e. this site, my email, which is shared with a friend for the sake of an ebay account, aim, things like that) and thisa was the a new one (i use different ones for things that i care about, like school logon, local logon, root, etc.) I just forgot my password, and was really bummed.

but it's okay now:)