help!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

My partner's iMac is doing this weird thing, where every time she dials up, the connection drops after a few seconds - with the message 'you have been disconnected because the other side is not responding.' I've tried dialling up using my ISP from her computer, and the same problem occurs - so it's not the ISP. I've tried using my laptop and dialling up using the same phone line - and it's fine (so there's no prob with the phone line).

What do I try now? Anybody else seen this prob? It seems to be getting worse and worse - it used to happen a bit, but now I can't connect for any length of time before it drops. Phone bill going through the roof...

2. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

there was an issue with OS X dropping the line after a while with like v. 10.1, but I believe it's been fixed since 10.1.3 or so. Is she on OS X or OS 9? If she's on OS X, make sure she has the most current version. Please give a little more information and we'll see what can be done!

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

There are also fixes listed in the on Apple Support site.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Try this:

System Preferences > Network > Modem > [select] Apple Internal 56K modem (v.34)

No guarentees, but I was able to get around this dial-up problem for some occassions using this method. The v.90 setup causes this problem for whatever reason. v.34 fixes this, but you will be limited to 28.8Kbps, not the full 56K.

Speaking from someone with 28.8Kbps in the house for about 10 years, you can still do a lot of things cable/DSL can do, but not what my T1 server lines at HS can. :p

5. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi - sorry about lack of info - i keep assuming everybody's up with the latest software! She's using 10.2.2, but the problem has been occurring since she was still using 10.1.

I fixed the permissions - that's made a difference - but i'd kinda like to know why, since none of the permissions that were fixed were modem or internet related.

hmm.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm getting that message about one day a week and multiple times that day. I'm running 10.2.2 but it's been happening since the public beta. I noticed that it didn't happen with each ISP so perhaps it's a disagreement betwee the Global Village/Apple modems and the ISP's modems.

It could probably be helped by increasing a wait time in the modem definition, but I'm not certain how to do that anymore.

7. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it's definitely happening to me with both ISPs I've tried, and one of them is a special mac-friendly ISP, so I don't think it can be that... I've wondered though, because the other ISP is related to the phone company, who would have a lot to gain from dial-up connections dropping out so frequently. :)