Help!

Discussion in 'Community' started by AnimationHQ, Jan 23, 2003.

1. AnimationHQ macrumors newbie

HELP! i'm a windows user who is at wit's end. I need a web-based IRC chat client, be it php, java, whatever, that a MAc running OS9 can use. The two big ones that meet my needs (can connect to any server, not simply a webpage type chatroom) are jpilot's jIRC and JAVirc. Both are more like jekyll and hide than clients. jIRC will sometimes connect using netscape 4.x or higher, but most times will not. JAVirc will only connect with very old versions, something like 2.6 (current version is 5.2 i believe). is there anyone who can help me find a client that work on Macs and connects to any IRC server? Thanks in advance!

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Look on Versiontracker.com and search for IRC...

Oh, and get OS X! :D

irmongoose

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah, I know... that's why I don't want him to judge Macs on OS 9 but OS X...

irmongoose

5. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

6. AnimationHQ thread starter macrumors newbie

well, first of all you are probably right, i'm no a switcher per se. I would LOVE to, but Apple is just too damn expensive for not the same quality of machine (i mean stricly based on specs here, like ram, hd space, processor speed, etc). But if i ever have enough money i would LOVE to get the G4 cube (i know, but i still love the damn thing). An iPod or two wouldn't ruin my day either. Of course, i think i would HAVE to wait until G5 hits, if it EVER hits. but i can build a pc that would run circles around every mac on the market for like a third of the price. that is the ONLY reason i won't switch, yet. it has nothing to do with the absolute POS that windows is keeping me a "pc person", i would tend more than likely to run redhat or something, purely monetary concerns prevent it.

back to the IRC, i can't downlaod anything myself since i am not the one using it. that's why i need a web chat. if it were possible, i could INSTALL a client on my site, but i can't do anything to this person's computer since she is on the other side of the country. unfortunately, she is not what one would consider even to be "novice" level using the computer, so i fear if i try to tell her to install something (myself having no clue how to do it on a Mac) trouble would ensue. i would have her use snak, if she could install it. from what i understand, it's very similar to mIRC. nevertheless, does anyone else know any webbased irc clients, written in any language other than html, that will work on a mac running OS 9?

as for judging the platform on OS 9, pfft. i'm not judging macs any more than to know i would vastly prefer to be on one, if it were financially feasible.

AnimationHQ

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I can't imagine why anyone would host a java IRC client that doesn't connect to their own server...

you could try going straight to the manufacturer of the java applets you like, see if they distribute them... then host it on your machine...

oh, erm, websharing isn't built in on windows like it is on mac.

well... hmm... i would just walk her through the steps to installing an actual client, it's not difficult at all- it's a mac after all. i'm used to IRCle but there are easier clients out there, anyone wanna post a tutorial for Snak?

pnw

8. AnimationHQ thread starter macrumors newbie

if someone could post a tutorial that would be incredibly helpful. the person in question is a guest we are having for a chat session in my chatroom (extension of my website). to say the least, she is not comfortable on computers. and i am hesitant b/c while i could probably get her to the right place after she had the thing on her comp, it's the getting it on there that worries me.

9. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

If you can get her to download and install VNC (virtual Network Computing), you'll be able to install whatever you want on her computer by controlling her computer remotely. The program is free and there are client and server versions for win9x/NT/2k/xp and a mac version as well. Do a search for VNC on google and you'll find the URL

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you must understand here, it's impossibly easy to install software on a mac. she'll need to click the link for "download", then uncompress the file (Stuffit is already on her machine for this), then the installer with do it's wonders. The most she'll have to do is drag an icon to her 'applications' folder, it depends on how they do it. there's no DLL files, no registry, none of that crap to deal with, it just installs and works.

pnw