help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CommonMan, Dec 29, 2006.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

I just got this iMac (used) and immediately connected to my cable modem.
    I hit the "e" to get onto the web and, as you can see, I am on. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow this webrowser is not allowing me to execute downloaded programs. I went to the Moxilla Foxfire because I want to use this as my primary browser. I successfully downloaded it (I think) but then when I tried to execute it, I just got a text document with a bunch of jiberish on it. This has never been a problem before. I then tried to download limewire and execute that. Then I got this message that QuickTime cannot recognize the file! What gives?:mad: :confused:

2. Gee macrumors 65816

You are downloading the Mac versions of these programs, not the Windows ones, right?

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You could start by going Apple Logo (top left of your screen) > Software Update, and installing the OS X 10.3.9 update. Also yes, make sure you're downloading the Mac version of the software. Windows software does not run (well, kind of) inside OS X...

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR
    You'll find that you get even better response if you make your thread title relevent to the question you are asking. This is the 3,004th thread entitled "* Help *"

5. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Yes

Yes, I am down loading the mac version of these programs. As Far as Updates, I thought I did that earlier today.

Regarding the title of the string: is this not the basic area? Do I not need help? Better you try to solve my problem than nit pick.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, you need help.
    Along with the 1,000,000 other threads here.

It's a newbie error, and since you already had a couple of responses on target, I thought I'd point out a forum convention -- actually, part of the forum rules:

"Thread titles. Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses."

Sorry for trying to help you make your queries on MR get more accurate and faster response.

Rest assured - I won't read or respond to any more of your posts or trouble you with any other suggestions.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Someone can't take constructive criticism very well... :rolleyes: