Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malcompal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Actually i am so impressed with the macbooks and their specifications and design , i am thinking of getting one but while surfing i read many threads talks about serious problems in macbooks even in pro such as heat problems also i want to run windows xp using boot camp can i ?
i am now afraid of getting one especially here in israel there the support sucks!
please help me !
wut are the advantages and dissadvantages of a macbook ?

holamiamigos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2006
ok....forums are set up so that people could get help with the problems they need...there are so many macbooks without these problems... so what might seem like a big problem might only affect less than 1 percent of the machines.... so don't worry about it.... oh and i had my macbook since may 06 and i have had zero problems

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
disadvantages?? hahahaha. :apple:

Ah yes....Spoken like a true Machead...malcompal, you have to be more specific. What do you plan to use it for? For example, I have a MacBookPro and when I bought it, I refused to buy a Macbook because it uses integrated graphics. This means I cannot play alot of games on it. For everything else, the MacBook is perfect. I would advice the black one though as I have heard that the white one stains over time.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
I love my MacBook

I bought my Macbook and I have had no problems with it at all. I run bootcamp just fine, no problems. Only thing w/ bootcamp is that you can't resize the partition, you have to erase it make a new one... which isn't hard.

Overall, I give my Macbook a 10/10 on my contempment level. 9.9/10 on a performance level (I just need to upgrade RAM and maybe HD).

IF you do purchase one and it has problems, take it to an Apple Store and they will be very welcoming and helpful in fixing your problem.

:apple: :D

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Before I tell you about a specific disadvantages of the MacBook, I would like to ask that in future you make your subject lines more descriptive. "Help!" doesn't tell me anything, "What are the disadvantages of the MacBook?" would have been better. Poorly written subject titles waste many peoples' time.

The MacBook has a poor graphics card with no hardware transform and lighting. This means that many modern Windows games will not run on it. You can only upgrade the RAM to 2gig which might seem a lot today but in 2 or 3 years may become a little tight. Their is no ExpressCard slot. It only has FireWire400, not 800. It doesn't make a decent cup of coffee...

EDIT: My MacBook is the best value for money computer I have ever owned.

kiiat

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Actually i am so impressed with the macbooks and their specifications and design , i am thinking of getting one but while surfing i read many threads talks about serious problems in macbooks even in pro such as heat problems also i want to run windows xp using boot camp can i ?
wut are the advantages and dissadvantages of a macbook ?

As a former PC girl, I converted to a Mac not too long ago and I love it. There are advantages/disadvantages to both PC and Mac depending on what you'll be using the machine for.

The main advantage is that Macs are just FUN! it takes some time getting used to it but once you do, you'll notice that you won't have to worry about things like anti-virus/anti-spyware, system freeze, blue screen of death etc. I just find that Macs perform better all around.

The one thing that is kind of annoying (but just takes some time getting used to) is there is no simple way of performing easy functions and you have to press more than one button to do it ie. to do print screen, you have to press the shift-command-4 buttons

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
If you have a problem...post it here the people will help you anyway they can....I wanted to download a video...and could not....then a member sent it to me by e mail.....that is really cool :)

Bwebb

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
New England
Have had MBP C2D since Dec o7. Also have a desktop PC running 98se, though I have only turned it on about 4 times since Dec. That is because I do not NEED to run windows at home or for any work related issues on a day to day basis.

Your situation may be different. There are so many variables that SHOULD affect your decision that it really cannot be answered with the information you provided.

Since you have been reading the forums you know that many of the "problems" people have encountered have been "self induced". OSX is not very user friendly in that regard (my opinion). It is possible for a user to delete, rename, move or otherwise alter files and or directories that it needs to operate correctly.

I could be a bummer if the only means of connecting to the internet to get help with an issue is no functioning.

If you encounter an issue which apple is willing to correct (defect, applecare repair, etc), then they will help you. BUT, you will probably be without the computer for a while. If you cannot tolerate being without, then I would say it definitely is not for you.

I'm not trying to turn you off to a Mac, just pointing out that no matter what anyone on any forum says or thinks, you need to decide what you are willing or need from your computer, whether it's a windows pc or a Mac pc.

It sounds to me like the availability of local support is a major issue for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.